FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

gator, I think it was around 7 months ago, I put a ramp in my coop. I stapled the Rubbermaid shelf covering with the small holes (not the smooth), so it would give them more traction, and I could keep it rinsed off. I carefully stapled it to the ramp, making sure all the staples went in flush, and not in the main areas where they would walk, to prevent bumblefoot. I took it to the coop, and installed it, set the rooster on it, and you would have thought I brought a monster into their coop. They wouldn't even go in the coop for a couple hours, and when they did decide to go in, they were not getting anywhere near the monster. By day 3 they had decided the monster wasn't going to eat them. I picked up the rooster, set him about half way up, so he had to either walk up, or down. He walked down the monster, but didn't run. The next day when I went to the coop, lo and behold he walked down the ramp. He was so proud of himself. The hens still were having no part of the monster. It took 3 more days for the hens to brave the monster. Now they all use the ramp, and think nothing of it. Crazy chickens. LOL!

I was debating taping or gluing some sandpaper down on the ladder, for extra grip. Also debating a trail of mealworms....
smile.png
putting the girls in their coop starting this week for part of their outside time.

A way to a chicken's heart is treats....

I have a question (like that's new).  I have 8 (7f + 1m) RIR & EE that are about 19 weeks old.  A couple of them are laying (aside:  first eggs are so small and cute).  I was lucky to get 5 Barred Rocks who are now 7.5 weeks old.  I put the 5 in a dog cage wrapped in chicken wire and put that in the coop (8'x10') last week.  Every evening I let them out of the cage into the coop/run area and kick the bigs out to the yard for a couple of hours (2-4).  I have attempted to let the bigs in the run (10'x20') with the littles and the bigs chase and peck the littles (as expected).  

OK, so here's my question.  How much pecking & chasing is normal when trying to integrate birds like this?  There's been no blood or injuries. The littles aren't chased by ALL the bigs.  Mainly just 3 (2 RIR & 1 EE).  The others either ignore them or just knock them out of the way.  The roo pretty much ignores them or a quick butt peck but nothing nasty.  What is a "normal" amount of pecking order discipline?

Just wanted to bump this post because I never saw an answer to it, and I'm curious too

Just wanted to bump this post because I never saw an answer to it, and I'm curious too
I put 8 week olds (the age that works for me) in the big coop in a separate cage for about a week. I let the big birds out of the coop in the morning to free range, close the door and then let the little ones out. Before the big birds come in to roost I put the 8 week olds back in the cage for the night. After a week they go out with the big guys during the day. Because mine free range they can get away if a bigger bird comes after them but in truth the big birds hardly pay attention to them. I set up several feeding stations and scatter waterers around. Sometimes the big birds don't like to share at first. I think the most important thing is that the young birds can get away. I was really worried about adding new babies to the flock at first. I have done it many times and never had a problem. The birds have to establish a pecking order and it sounds like they are going about it without too much violence. It is hard to say given the different temperments of breeds and individuals. I have been told RIR are aggressive but Cmom can probably shed some light there.

I got some sage advice in another thread.

1. More water and feeding stations.
2. There is no "normal". (like everything)
3. Between water/feed place "stuff" to break line of sight and give obstacles.

I'm still not ever going to try mixing 8 & 19 week olds again. 1 week difference was very easy.

Things I've done. Let them ALL out into the yard. The littles flock together and bigs flock together and will range farther. The littles stay around the coop. If the bigs decide to chase the littles have trees, waterers and the entire coop to run around. Things were better Sun/Mon.

Quote:
Hatchery Reds can be more aggressive but I have never had an aggressive one with my Pure Heritage Reds. I handle them easily and when it comes to bath time before a show they seem to love their bath.

This is after their bath. They aren't too happy here but I put them in the wire cages to dry and their poop will fall through the wire.

After their bath I roll them up in a towel so I can make sure their comb and wattles are clean and their feet, legs and toenails are clean.

I got some sage advice in another thread.

1. More water and feeding stations.
2. There is no "normal". (like everything)
3. Between water/feed place "stuff" to break line of sight and give obstacles.

I'm still not ever going to try mixing 8 & 19 week olds again. 1 week difference was very easy.

Things I've done. Let them ALL out into the yard. The littles flock together and bigs flock together and will range farther. The littles stay around the coop. If the bigs decide to chase the littles have trees, waterers and the entire coop to run around. Things were better Sun/Mon.

I don't put that young with older birds. I do have a couple of chick/grow-out coops. The chicks go into one grow-out coop and when they are around 12 to 16 weeks they go out to the outer grow-out coop by the bigger birds. IN the past I did have a problem with a aggressive hen.

This was many years ago when I was integrating my pullets with the rest of my flock, had two hens that were bullies. I caught one hen really wailing away on one of the pullets. I thought my bully was going to kill the pullet the way she was on top of her wailing away at her. Originally I did take the bullies out of the flock for about a week. When I did put them back with the flock one was ok but the other was still being a real bully so I took her back out and put her back in jail for another week then let her back in with the flock and she started in again. She was so intent on beating up a pullet that she didn't know I was there. I had a hose in my hand and gave her a good squirt with the hose. She wasn't expecting it as she was really into beating up the pullet. Did she ever jump off when she got hit with the water. She ran into the coop and didn't come back out for a long time. I caught her a few more times and always had the hose handy and squirted her when she was being aggressive. She eventually quit bullying. That is when I used the hose and caught her off guard. I guess she eventually knew if she kept it up she would get squirted. She would block the pop door and keep the pullets out so they couldn't get to the feed. I put a second pop door in the coop and another feeder out in their run. She couldn't guard both pop doors and feeders.
Also I re-introduced them in the yard so the ones being picked on could run away. Also I spread out plenty of treats so the treats would hopefully be a distraction. Usually there is an alpha who starts things. Once the alpha starts others will join in.

Back
Top Bottom