FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nava, Mar 7, 2010.

1. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Quote:I'm further south than you, but it's still really cold tonight! Last night too, and it was even windier. I don't like to see my friends shiver, and I sure don't want to lose any, so I have my favorites and the youngest ones in our cozy garage. The bantam cage is built for ventilation, so we bungee corded a tarp all around, and hung a heat lamp inside to make it cozy. Our pen with larger breeds seems to be okay without a heat source or tarp, but I'm keeping a close eye on everybody.

This is the way I've done it for nearly a decade - it's extra work, but we've never had a loss from cold weather.

2. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

How cold did it get at your place last night?

By 10:00pm we had ice. Had turned on water in far pastures to keep line open.

Maye

3. verlaj

verlaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Micanopy, Florida
    Our thermometer near the house said 23 when I checked it a little before 8 a.m.

4. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    30 here. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate cold weather. [​IMG]
    This is my first year with chickens. Years ago I had geese and ducks and never did anything special for them but they weren't penned up so they could take shelter where ever they felt was best. We put a blanket over my broody/hursery coop and one over the north wall of the real coop and are hoping for the best. I haven't been out yet to check on the wee ones but the adults are all okay. [​IMG]

5. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    was 31 here and cold with wind

6. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    21 this morning, now that the sun came up we are in 34

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    23 here in Spring Hill. Killed my car battery. [​IMG]

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:haven't even checked mine,but good thing is I don't have to go anywhere today [​IMG]

9. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Went down to 25 in lake wales, according to the memory in my thermometer . It's the length of time it stayed freezing. It was 27 at 10pm last night and 37 at 9am when I got up this morning.

10. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Real cold.

Frozen waterers, frosty lawn. All my birds survived. Took others' advice and didn't do anything special for them, except I did give them extra carbs yesterday in case that would help them through the night. (I know it works for me LOL!!! ) Even my chicks born in November did just fine, including a silkie. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by