FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nava, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Hey everyone.. Do any of you guys in my area do anything to heat your coop when it's cold like this? My theory is chickens live in much colder places so I'm not doing anything now but just wanted opinions. I know the chicken whisperer is against heating but just wanted to discuss [​IMG]

2. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm on the other side of the state, but no, I don't do anything special. Mine are in open run type coops with a solid roof over most of the top and open on all sides. There is a good bit of protection from the wind, and that is the only thing I would worry about. If it goes down another 10 degrees and the wind is blowing, I'll put tarps up on the sides. Adult feathered birds only of coarse. ........stan

3. tigercreek

Quote:I'm still likin' my pick, Feb. 8th!! ......stan

4. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Quote:I have about 5 1 gal containers full of them but the shipping would cost a fortune

How much would it be to ship me 1 pound of them? Or all you can stuff in a flat rate box? [​IMG]

msg me and I'll do what I can for you

5. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Quote:I use a 100 watt bulbs in my pen.

6. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I heat the coops with the young birds in it... I have a group of 13 week olds and their coop is heated.
    I think our birds are like people.... It is what they are use to. Folks around here can handle the HEAT of 90 plus temps better than the folks up north.
    However, we start freezing at a higher temp than the folks up north.

I think our birds get aclimated the same way [​IMG]
    So, I nurture the younger ones and don't feel bad about it all. I baby them a little right now and expect them to handle the days with 90 plus temps without missing a beat!

The older birds, I do some alterations to get ready for the cold... My coops are designed for the SUMMER. There are lots of ventilation in each coop - - THINK SCREENED WINDOWS.
    So, I do go out there and staple cardboard over all the openings to help insulate the coop. No Heat lamps, but no drafts either.

I do have one girl who is a full blown molt right now. Go Figure. She is in my sick cage so that she warm her buns since they are featherless right now. She was practically cooing tonight when I checked on her. . . .POOR baby. Who could blame her for being confused with all these mixed signals mother nature keeps sending out [​IMG]

7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Quote:I do, I put brooder lamps out in the coop, I got 2 coops and gathered all the chickens on the roost and placed 3 lamps.
    my favorite chickens are in cages in the warm garage.

I know that some chickens are freezing up north, if I have to cover my plants for them to survive I'm going to do the same with my chickens.

that's just what I think.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Our birds are not acclimated to cold temps. They do not do well during rogue cold fronts especially when it is a hard freeze. I have a super ventilated florida barn and it would do no good to heat it. I just hope they cuddle up and stay warm. The chicks are below the ventilation and have a heat lamp in the stall. I already lost one from a front a couple of wks ago. They all piled up and one smothered. The heat lamp went out the next day, but I only use it at night and only till they are a bit older. They are 4 wks. old. You have to do what you think is right under the conditions here, not up north, out west or whatever.

9. tigercreek

Quote:I do, I put brooder lamps out in the coop, I got 2 coops and gathered all the chickens on the roost and placed 3 lamps.

I know that some chickens are freezing up north, if I have to cover my plants for them to survive I'm going to do the same with my chickens.

But your chickens don't have feathers!! You gotta heat em up. ...stan

10. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl

But your chickens don't have feathers!! You gotta heat em up. ...stan

I know [​IMG] and suntan lotion in the summer [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by