FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

They are both cute, and if I wasn't already swimming in roos, I would take them! But since I have four too many roos now... I hope you find good homes!

Hello! I have had my chickens for almost 5 months now. However in from MI and this is totally different environment then I'm used to! How often do you all worm your birds here? I have 8 chickens and all are different breeds. I let them free range all day long and lock them up at night but 2 days ago my cochen baby was attacked and I'm not sure by what....he is currently rehabilitating in my bedroom... Vetericyn 3 times a day. And last night my silkie was laying in the bottom of the coop soaking wet and limp... I warmed her up with a blow dryer and she pooped out a giant worm and now seems fine. I wormed with safegaurd(horse wormer) but not sure if I gave enough to be effective! I know I'm posting randomly bit I'm new to chickens and Florida. I need all the help I can get! Lol

Are your birds laying yet? Wazine is what most use as a wormer for poultry. There is a egg withdrawal recommended of two weeks. I am originally from MI., Traverse City. Been in Florida most of my life. We moved to St Petersburg when I was young and now I'm retired. My brother moved back to MI about 1973 as he met a gal from Interlochen (spelling ?) and she wanted to be near her family. About 15 years ago my DH and I moved near Ocala (Dunnellon) and my sister now lives in Sarasota but is moving up to be near me. Her and her DH recently bought a place in Morriston. Good luck and have fun...

Are your birds laying yet? Wazine is what most use as a wormer for poultry. There is a egg withdrawal recommended of two weeks. I am originally from MI., Traverse City. Been in Florida most of my life. We moved to St Petersburg when I was young and now I'm retired. My brother moved back to MI about 1973 as he met a gal from Interlochen (spelling ?) and she wanted to be near her family. About 15 years ago my DH and I moved near Ocala (Dunnellon) and my sister now lives in Sarasota but is moving up to be near me. Her and her DH recently bought a place in Morriston. Good luck and have fun...
My birds arent laying yet. Im worred because Wazine only works for one type of worm... round worms.. and Im pretty sure my baby chicken had a diffent kind in her poop. I used Safe guard... Hope it worked. I was terrified to over dose them.

We are orig. From belleville... its 20 minutes of ann arbor. Only been here since February its hot and I want to be back with my family lol BUT it is nice being somewhere new! Plus the beaches. =] My horses are dying of heat everyday but Im sure we will all get used to it!!!

My birds arent laying yet. Im worred because Wazine only works for one type of worm... round worms.. and Im pretty sure my baby chicken had a diffent kind in her poop. I used Safe guard... Hope it worked. I was terrified to over dose them.

An old chicken rancher once told me, "if you see the worms in the poop, it's roundworms, if you don't see them, then it's another type of worm."
I've always just used this as a general rule of thumb and if you do see worms, then use Wazine. If you don't see them and you suspect worms, use one of the other wormers mentioned. I've had good luck with Ivermectin.
Another site I found mentions Verm-X but I've never tried it:

For three consecutive days each month, help your girls purge their worms by feeding Verm-X. It can be ordered online from Verm-X USA. It comes in pellet and liquid form. Verm-X is a natural control of intestinal parasites and contains herbs like garlic, slippery elm, cinnamon, cayenne, quassia, thyme, and peppermint. I have not yet tried the liquid (which you add to drinking water), but I think it may be easier to administer than the pellets. In order to entice the girls to eat the Verm-X, I have had to concoct "Chicken Smoothies" to mask the pellets with a tasty treat. I make the Chicken Smoothie by blending the required dosage of Verm-X with pine nuts or pumpkin seeds (which apparently immobilize the worms), buttermilk or yogurt, and whatever egg shells and kitchen scraps I've been saving to feed the hens. By the end of the day the Chicken Smoothie is gone, but I don't advise hanging around to watch them eat, as they tend to shake the excess off their bills and all over your legs!

I just think these pictures of my chicken Vera is soooo cute and funny i thought i would share it :) i brought her inside to sit with me ..... so i took some pictures of her and here they are :)

Back
Top Bottom