FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

From crystal river

Welcome, welcome! Just a little South of you in Brooksville!

Hi to all you Floridians! My name is Susan Rice and Hubby and I and our menangerie are moving to Riverview (Tampa area), Hillsborough County, at the end of next month.  Unfortunately I will be rehoming my 25 pullets and their roo before our move as I have researched bringing poultry into the state and it is full of regulations. So short of sneaking them in I am finding them good homes and will be starting over when we get settled.  There is already a run so we will be putting up a well ventilated coop for them and I probably will stay with about 12 layers this time.

Question, and I hope someone that lives near there can help me?  I would love to start over with chicks but am not averse to getting already grown birds.  Here in the frozen north (so. Illinois) the farm stores sell chicks in March/April.  Is it the same down there?  I wondered whether they had them different times of year because of the warmer weather.  Are there any hatcheries within a couple of hours driving distance that I could go to , and then could order and actually pick up the chicks?  I know I can always mail order them but having them sent this time of year I have to go with larger numbers than I actually want.  I really want some more turkens--I have 2 now.  A buff and a black and they are my favorites!  I just wonder how easily I could get turken chicks locally.  I am guessing it would be pretty difficult.

Anyway, any info you locals could give me would be much appreciated!  It is 17 degrees here right now and I look so forward to getting into our new locale!

Oh yes. You can still get chicks. It may not be like in the spring time, but they're out there. I always refer people to Spring Hill Heritage Poultry Conservatory. She may not have the Turken, but she is a wealth of information, and almost always has chicks of some sort.

If not, I have seen some in local feed stores, but passed them up (didn't have what I was looking for) also, the only rural King in Florida is in spring Hill as well, and it seems like every week they sell baby chicks. Something to think about....

Hi to all you Floridians! My name is Susan Rice and Hubby and I and our menangerie are moving to Riverview (Tampa area), Hillsborough County, at the end of next month.  Unfortunately I will be rehoming my 25 pullets and their roo before our move as I have researched bringing poultry into the state and it is full of regulations. So short of sneaking them in I am finding them good homes and will be starting over when we get settled.  There is already a run so we will be putting up a well ventilated coop for them and I probably will stay with about 12 layers this time.

Question, and I hope someone that lives near there can help me?  I would love to start over with chicks but am not averse to getting already grown birds.  Here in the frozen north (so. Illinois) the farm stores sell chicks in March/April.  Is it the same down there?  I wondered whether they had them different times of year because of the warmer weather.  Are there any hatcheries within a couple of hours driving distance that I could go to , and then could order and actually pick up the chicks?  I know I can always mail order them but having them sent this time of year I have to go with larger numbers than I actually want.  I really want some more turkens--I have 2 now.  A buff and a black and they are my favorites!  I just wonder how easily I could get turken chicks locally.  I am guessing it would be pretty difficult.

Anyway, any info you locals could give me would be much appreciated!  It is 17 degrees here right now and I look so forward to getting into our new locale!

Glad to have more nn lovers you will love the weather here.
When you get here look me up
I have NNs in
Red,white,black,splash,blue and BLR

Last edited:
Ya know it's so stupid to me that people are so clueless about chickens and will buy into crap like this article... I get teased a little at work for being such a chicken lover... but today I mentioned.. ya know those eggs you buy in the store from the industrial type chicken farms? Guess what... those birds are stuffed in to small cages as many as they can fit per cage... they lay eggs that quite likely get pooped on and may sit in there with sick birds or dying birds... or dead birds... before they are collected... and of course they are washed thoroughly prior to packaging so they are date stamped and look perfect by the time you get them in the store.. but did you know eggs are porous and all the nasty bacteria that they wash off is likely to get into those eggs...so I hope you cook em really well before you eat them. I know my eggs are collected quickly after they are laid, I know what mine eat and that they are in good health and I would feel safer eating those from my backyard than store bought any day. I could so go on and on about the benefits of keeping chickens but I would be" preaching to the choir" here LOL! I find my cats dogs and bunnies require much more expense and effort daily than my chickens and cats dogs and other pets have the same ability to get mites fleas and ticks as any other animals kept in less than ideal conditions... or even ideal ones because the minute your kitty or pup goes outside they are exposed to all of those.
Thanks, koolkyle08. Yes, your are "preaching to the choir" but you painted such a vivid picture with your words that the knowledge that Is stale and reiterated often to the point of becoming a chant. Anyway, thank you for 'waking' me up again. The first four lines really made an impact. Thank you (seriously)

Welcome Susan!!!! Eight Acres Farms near Gainseville sells breeder quality heritage breeds and colorful egg layers. No turkens though. She does sell pullets occasionally and chicks are straight run only. Her birds are beautiful and healthy.

http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/index.html

I looked them up and wow nice birds thanks for sharing the link and I bookmarked it for future reference!

Add me!!!! Holmes county north central

Please add me I am in Lee County florida

welcome-byc.gif
From NE Florida where it is coooold tonight!

Back
Top Bottom