FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I'm back with an update regarding bobcat attacks. 2 days ago I lost 9 chickens in their pen. The culprits were a bobcat and kits. One chicken eaten, The rest just killed and left whole. Looks like kitten fun.
I reinforced the gate where the got in. Next am. still 3 chickens, but scared. This morning only 2 chickens left, one just disappeared. Saw big cat prints, no kitten prints. Tried to find where it entered. It seems to have come in through the top even though it is completely covered in shade cloth. It found a gap - in and out. The shade cloth was not meant to keep out bobcats, but hawks and owls. Who knew??
I feel I'm outsmarted at every turn and my poor feathery friends are paying the price with their lives and well being.
I have a couple of people coming out to see about hunting this group. I hate to do it, but they are now trained to be chicken, goose, duck killers and won't want to hunt more difficult natural prey. I have the survivors in a different pen, but it won't take them long to figure a way in there too since it is built in a similar way. My electric charger will not be here before Thursday.
I'm angry and discouraged and heartsick! I get up at night whenever I hear a sound from the pasture. Besides not sleeping well DH and I have bronchitis and are both miserable. When it rains, it pours!

th.gif

I would put out live traps as well as leg traps in the area you think the predator is getting in at and after I caught the critter I would shoot it. I have killed many predators that have killed my chickens and I don't feel bad about it.

Hello does anyone know a place in Broward County where I can get a dozen or so fertile brown eggs from Rirs, Redstars or Golden Comet type chickens?
Any farmers market? Is anyone familiar with the cuban farm in Hialeah? http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bfs/4164889321.html Would they have fertile eggs?

I don't know of anyone in your area. Fertility can be an issue this time of year. The fertility rate usually declines in the winter months especially around molting time when most of their energy goes into producing new feathers and usually egg production drops way off too.Red Stars and Golder Comets are hybrids (Sex Links).

Here is some information on the different Sex Link crossings. Golden Comet, Gold Star, or Cinnamon Queen depending on the specific cross used) are produced by a number of different crosses. In the breedings the males can be either New Hampshire Reds but most use Rhode Island Reds. White Plymouth Rocks hens with the silver factor are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Gold Comet. A Silver Laced Wynandotte hen is crossed with a New Hampshire rooster to produce the Cinnamon Queen. Additional possible red sex-link cross combinations are the Rhode Island White hen and a Rhode Island Red rooster Which produce a male that will hatch out white and can feather out to pure white or with some black feathering and the females Redish color with white on the tail feathers and maybe around the neck. A Delaware hen with a Rhode Island Red rooster. Males hatch out looking like the Delawares depending on the cross. Females hatch out red like the Rhode Island Red male. Coloring will depend on the cross, and they how they feather out.

I personally use Rhode Island White females with a Rhode Island Red male to create my Red Sex Links. I don't hatch until spring. That is when I get my breeding pens in order and select the birds that I want to breed. Good luck and have fun...

I have the following available located in North FL near Lake City in Fort White. Can meet in Gainesville, Lake City, or will be in Jacksonville on the 29th of December at Bent Creek and possibly in St Augustine next weekend on the 21st.

Flock of mixed white bantams 10ct $50 obo

Button quail laying age SALE $4

RIR/Welsummer cross young $3 or 10 for $25, older $5 each or 5 for $20 (lay huge brown eggs big as duck eggs!)

Silver Laced Bantam Cochin 12wks $7 or 3 for $15

Beautiful black and white frizzle bantam cochin rooster $10

Millie Fleur D'Uccle rooster $10

Gold Neck D'Uccle Chicks $7

Also have some rolls of wire for sale black PVC coated chicken wire 24" x 150' only $50

more wire available as well for cage building and some 2x2 48" x 100 rolls also

Have kit saver wire for rabbit cages too :)

Back
Top Bottom