FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Today I found this perfectly round golf ball sized egg buried in one of my pens. I only found it because it was partially dug up. It was about 4+ inches under the top surface of the hole. I candled it and it looks like it has been in the ground for quite awhile. I could see the yolk but it was dark so I think it is rotten inside. I'm not going to break it open. I put the feathers in the bottom of the hole where I found the egg.

Anyone near Brooksville (hernando county) interested in three month old presumably cockerels? The majority seem to be Rhode Island Reds, but may also include other presumably males. We got them through Ideal Hatchery and are a little over run with males. Please contact me if interested. Thanks!

Today I found this perfectly round golf ball sized egg buried in one of my pens. I only found it because it was partially dug up. It was about 4+ inches under the top surface of the hole. I candled it and it looks like it has been in the ground for quite awhile. I could see the yolk but it was dark so I think it is rotten inside. I'm not going to break it open. I put the feathers in the bottom of the hole where I found the egg.

After some research, I found out that I found a Gopher Tortise egg (in a chicken pen). I candled it and apparently there is a little tortise in the egg. I have also found out that since I have handled the egg that if it is alive it won't be for long once they are handled. I'll dig around more tomorrow to see if there are any more eggs.

Manatee County Florida here :) Palmetto ( between St Petersburg and Sarasota) YEAH FLORIDA! hope everyone is ready for the cold weather coming!!

Q: Are gopher tortoises an endangered species?
A: Gopher tortoises have received protected status (click here for details). As such, the gopher tortoise may not be handled without a permit. Any tortoise problems or violations can be referred to the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission, or FWCC, for resolution.

www.gophertortoise.org/tortoise/faqs.htm
further down the same page:

2) If your goal is to coexist with and be more accommodating to the tortoise(s) on your property, we are currently working on a management module to assist you. For now, here are a few tips: The burrow(s) must be protected from being collapsed, and care needs to be taken that people or vehicles do not fall into or collapse the burrow. For tortoises in your yard, providing additional food usually is not necessary and is not recommended. It is usually done because people like to watch the tortoise feeding. It is best, however, to leave the tortoise to feed on its own. Gopher tortoises exhibit very complex foraging behavior carefully selecting certain foods from over 280 species according to subtle internal cues. Unnaturally providing attractive foods but not necessarily the ones the tortoise needs could give it a full belly that makes it lazy and keeps it from going out to forage properly, perhaps missing the nutrients required for optimal health. Nonetheless if you would like to provide food, there are some simple rules, which should be followed. Be sure to review the threats to tortoises, to better protect them. Roadways, dogs, children, chemicals, and pesticides are among those potentially hazardous to the tortoise(s) in your yard if care is not taken.

Last edited:
Q: Are gopher tortoises an endangered species?
A: Gopher tortoises have received protected status (click here for details). As such, the gopher tortoise may not be handled without a permit. Any tortoise problems or violations can be referred to the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission, or FWCC, for resolution.

www.gophertortoise.org/tortoise/faqs.htm
further down the same page:

2) If your goal is to coexist with and be more accommodating to the tortoise(s) on your property, we are currently working on a management module to assist you. For now, here are a few tips: The burrow(s) must be protected from being collapsed, and care needs to be taken that people or vehicles do not fall into or collapse the burrow. For tortoises in your yard, providing additional food usually is not necessary and is not recommended. It is usually done because people like to watch the tortoise feeding. It is best, however, to leave the tortoise to feed on its own. Gopher tortoises exhibit very complex foraging behavior carefully selecting certain foods from over 280 species according to subtle internal cues. Unnaturally providing attractive foods but not necessarily the ones the tortoise needs could give it a full belly that makes it lazy and keeps it from going out to forage properly, perhaps missing the nutrients required for optimal health. Nonetheless if you would like to provide food, there are some simple rules, which should be followed. Be sure to review the threats to tortoises, to better protect them. Roadways, dogs, children, chemicals, and pesticides are among those potentially hazardous to the tortoise(s) in your yard if care is not taken.

Thank you for the link. I found it earlier today and read it. Very informative...

It's cold outside. Bruuuuu

I'll second that
caf.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom