FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hello everyone! Just joined BYC! I new to this and I have a question. I got 2 golden sex links from a feed store and they are about 3-4 weeks old now. I'm told to keep them inside until they are 8 weeks old, but I live in Orlando Florida. It's about 50's at night, and 80's during the day. Does the 8 week rule still apply here in Florida?
I have a coop for my juveniles. I do have a heat lamp that I can turn on for them at night. The coop is big enough so if they can find their comfort zone. They do have a nice large pen they can go out into during the day but they get shut in the coop at night. Once I lost 14 chicks to a predator. I had forgotten to close their pop door. I went out the next morning to find them dead. Now I also have netting over their pen because a hawk recently grabbed one of the chicks when I had them out in a temporary pen. My DH was out working next to the pen when the hawk came down and grabbed one of the chicks. It happened so fast.

Hi fellow crackers! I got my first flock of chickens about a month ago and I'm truly addicted! I have 3 RIR pullets and 1 RIR roo.I also have a GLW pullet and a white leghorn pullet all between 5-6 weeks.would there be any side effects if my roo were to,down the road,mate with my GLW or WL? I wasn't planning on having a roo but the little guy has grown on me and istarted thinking about this today.
With your cockerel you will have RIR and barnyard mixes. I have some mixes and they are some of my best layers.

I'm in the Riverside/Avondale area in Jacksonville, FL and the proud owner of Backyard Hen permit #185!
celebrate.gif

It is sad. It's even sadder that they will only be issuing 300 permits for the 2 year trial period. The 1st was issued in Feb. and I believe they are all gone now. Seems we have a few urban chicken lovers here. I'm glad I'm one of the lucky few that jumped on it early. Hopefully in 2016 they will drop the permit bit and just let us be free. Doubt it, but it never hurts to hope.

It is sad. It's even sadder that they will only be issuing 300 permits for the 2 year trial period. The 1st was issued in Feb. and I believe they are all gone now. Seems we have a few urban chicken lovers here. I'm glad I'm one of the lucky few that jumped on it early. Hopefully in 2016 they will drop the permit bit and just let us be free. Doubt it, but it never hurts to hope.
I agree...it's so dumb but guess we gotta jump through the hoops they give us in order to do it. I'm happy I got mine...I love my birds!

I have permit #12. It's all politics and a money making scheme. I saw it first hand at the final zoning board meeting and discussion just prior to the city council vote. It still had to be approved by the mayor because the city council vote wasnt unanamous. The mayor approved the ordinance.
They should make all cat and dog owners attend classes at the UF building like they did for us chicken folks. The city would make a bundle and/or there would be a heck of a protest from the citizens. Never had this silliness when I lived just across the border in Georgia.
I've got my 5 birds and coop. I was at the final chicken class last night and the zoning board official stated that zoning board officials were going to present to city council to raise the 300 permit limit because there havnt been any complaints, that the program has been successful and there were alot more people that wanted to own hens throughout the city. I believe that an amendment would have to be taken up to change the ordinance to raise the permit limit, I could be wrong about that though. It'll be a wait and see situation and when I see it, is when I'll believe it.

Back
Top Bottom