FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

What can I do to help keep the snakes away??? I lost 4 of my 5 bantam Cochin chicks yesterday while I was at a Dr. appointment. It ate 3 and just killed the 4th. I keep everything clean and use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. But dispite that it still made it in theirbrooder box but ccouldn't get out. Any help would be great. :( :(

What can I do to help keep the snakes away??? I lost 4 of my 5 bantam Cochin chicks yesterday while I was at a Dr. appointment. It ate 3 and just killed the 4th. I keep everything clean and use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. But dispite that it still made it in theirbrooder box but ccouldn't get out. Any help would be great.
sad.png
sad.png

How are the snakes getting in?

What can I do to help keep the snakes away??? I lost 4 of my 5 bantam Cochin chicks yesterday while I was at a Dr. appointment. It ate 3 and just killed the 4th. I keep everything clean and use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. But dispite that it still made it in theirbrooder box but ccouldn't get out. Any help would be great. :( :(

get a box of moth balls and spread them around the coop. Be generous with them, snakes won't come near the coop.

Last edited:
How are the snakes getting in?
the snakes head was only the size of my ring finger nail so it fit though the wire. We had moth ball around it, human hair, and some snake repalint granules from the local feed store. Non of it worked. I've never been the tipe to to kill ever snake I see only if I know it poisonous. I know that they have a perpus. Eat bugs, rats, and poisonous snakes. But I'm not going to have them eatting my baby's. They haven't messed with my other's with the hot wire around the pin.

I'm so sorry. The only thing I can think of is to put something around your brooder box that has much, much smaller holes. Or make a brooder with solid walls until they get bigger.

What can I do to help keep the snakes away??? I lost 4 of my 5 bantam Cochin chicks yesterday while I was at a Dr. appointment. It ate 3 and just killed the 4th. I keep everything clean and use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. But dispite that it still made it in theirbrooder box but ccouldn't get out. Any help would be great.
sad.png
sad.png

how about covering the mesh with patio screening.. worth a try perhaps??

Oh! I am so sorry! I'm planing on putting my chicks, also bantam cochin, out n the coop for the first time tonight. I have 1/2" hardware cloth, too! Was your brooder up high? I'm wondering about nailing some flashing "L" around the posts on the coop…

sad.png
sad.png

Maybe you can use ¼ hardware cloth. This is my brooder. I have ½ hardware cloth. I have never had a snake get in it but I keep it in our garage.

Back
Top Bottom