FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I used a huge appliance box I got from Sears as a brooder. I put a folded tarp underneath and left the bottom open, using pine pellets as bedding. I kept them in a spare bedroom until they went outside.

Here's my question for the group. I need bedding for a SINGLE nest box(3 hens only, and just one of them is laying right now). i don't have a place to store the leftovers of a bale of hay ($7 for a square bale last I bought one). It just goes to waste or mildews before I can use it. My hen won't use the nest box now because the hay I tried to salvage was kind of mildewy. Any thoughts? I need to pinch pennies! Also, how often do you change the bedding in your nest boxes?
yippiechickie.gif

Some people use sand in the nesting boxes and just use a kitty litter scoop to clean as needed. Maybe try that?

I used a huge appliance box I got from Sears as a brooder. I put a folded tarp underneath and left the bottom open, using pine pellets as bedding. I kept them in a spare bedroom until they went outside.

Here's my question for the group. I need bedding for a SINGLE nest box(3 hens only, and just one of them is laying right now). i don't have a place to store the leftovers of a bale of hay ($7 for a square bale last I bought one). It just goes to waste or mildews before I can use it. My hen won't use the nest box now because the hay I tried to salvage was kind of mildewy. Any thoughts? I need to pinch pennies! Also, how often do you change the bedding in your nest boxes?
yippiechickie.gif

If I have a single bale of hay I put it in a very large (contractor) trash bag. The hay keeps fine. I used to use it in the nest boxes but now I just use pine shavings. They were scratching out the hay and the birds do somewhat scratch out the shavings but it usually ends up on the floor of the coops and all of my coops are raised with floors and put the shaving in the coops so when I clean them it is easier. The birds drag in a lot of sand and when that mixes with the poop it can get quite hard so the shavings really help. When I brood some chicks will go into cages and I put hay in the cages and every few days I change the hay and put the poopy hay in our compost. When I clean the coops the shavings also go into the compost. Every once in awhile I clean out the nest boxes and put fresh shaving in them but sometimes I just add some. Every now and then a bird will break an egg in one of the nest boxes and the shaving help there too. Years ago I used spanish moss that grows on the trees here in Florida in the nest boxes, now I just use the pine shavings. Most of my birds tend to use the same nest boxes. Most days I will have a half dozen more eggs in some nest boxes and no eggs in others. The girls seem to like to lay their eggs in the same nest boxes. Good luck and have fun.

She's laying eggs in the run, or in the litter (sand) in the coop. ^

If you want your girl to lay in a nest box, try something like a golf ball in the nest box. Most of the time it has worked for me. Evey once in awhile a girl will lay on the floor but most of the time they lay in the nest boxes. I had one girl that would get into a feeder and lay her egg. I put a top on the feeder and now she will lay in a nest box.

I'm guessing you're in FL.. do you live where coconut palms grow? I use the husk from coconuts for bedding ( not the shell- but the fibrous hairy stuff that protects the nut for 30' fall from tree) Coconut husk doesn't mildew and can last forever. One coconut husk will provide enough bedding for 1-2 nests. I'll try to add some pics in little while.

I'm guessing you're in FL.. do you live where coconut palms grow? I use the husk from coconuts for bedding ( not the shell- but the fibrous hairy stuff that protects the nut for 30' fall from tree) Coconut husk doesn't mildew and can last forever. One coconut husk will provide enough bedding for 1-2 nests. I'll try to add some pics in little while.

I live in North Central Florida. No coconut palms here but plenty of spanish moss. These are old pictures.

Last edited:
CMOM! Moss! Perfect! My place is covered in oaks and moss! I don't know why I didn't think of it! I'm in Chiefland! Moss is easy to come by! I've read about microwaving it for a few seconds to kill bugs when using Spanish moss for flower or crafts… I'll try that! THANKS!!!

dogWonder, I have no access to coconut husks.... But would love to see some pics! It's hard to visualize what exactly you're talking about.

CMOM... my hen has been laying in the nest box for a year.... Until I changed the hay about a week-10 days ago...... And now her eggs are in the sand under the roost or in the run....I think the hay is just smelly..... I did also sprinkle a bit of poultry dust in the box before the hay..... It has to be the hay or the poultry dust she doesn't like. I'm going to try the moss!

Back
Top Bottom