FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi @TubbsFarm I like your avatar! It's only fitting that a FL chick wear sunglasses
cool.png

If you think on it and decide you want to mix them, I will let you know when we have more extras! Our Svart Hona hen actually went broody a few weeks after she started laying! ... once she started laying again we always take her eggs but she is sneaky and still tries to lay on them if we don't get them in time.

It's so funny because the only other hen we have had that went broody was our silkie hen years ago. Out of the 7 breeds we have owned, we've only had a broody silkie and a broody swedish black hen. I'm not sure if that's the norm, but it was with ours!
After thinking on it, I do want to do this! Since I have Silkies for their reputation of broodiness, I will go with the Swedish Blacks, as your foundation hen has gone broody (more than once?). If you tire of fighting her and have non-broody daughters of hers, I'd be very happy to have her as well. This will be a big boost in my efforts to breed my Silkies larger ... I know what I end up with won't be actual Silkies, so I've started referring to them as "Silkiebators". I have a buyer of my extra cockerels, and cannot lose or dilute the Fm gene or I lose my customer. So, these Swedish Blacks will be a perfect fit for me.

Hello fellow Floridians, my name is Duke, and I'm new to the site. I look forward to learning plenty while raising chickens for both eggs and meat. My wife and I currently have four Red Sexlinks six weeks old to start us out while we wait until the spring to order some Easter Egger chicks. Forgot to say, I'm in New Smyrna Beach, south of Daytona, in Volusia county.

@TubbsFarm Just wanted to welcome you to BYC

Last edited:
Hi, Florida folks! My family and I are moving to FL within a few months, and I can't bring my chickens with me. :(
Anyone in/around Pasco County selling silkies, Polish, and/or Frizzles? Thanks!

Hello fellow Floridians, my name is Duke, and I'm new to the site. I look forward to learning plenty while raising chickens for both eggs and meat. My wife and I currently have four Red Sexlinks six weeks old to start us out while we wait until the spring to order some Easter Egger chicks. Forgot to say, I'm in New Smyrna Beach, south of Daytona, in Volusia county.

My husband grew up there. Awesome beaches! Welcome to the site.

Hi, Florida folks! My family and I are moving to FL within a few months, and I can't bring my chickens with me. :(
Anyone in/around Pasco County selling silkies, Polish, and/or Frizzles? Thanks!
Hello and Welcome!

I have friends who have Silkies. Pet quality, breeding quality, and show quality. Let me know when you are ready for them and what you want and I will definitely refer you to them. some of them are on here as well and might respond to your query on their own.

Frizzles are a feather characteristic. What kind of birds that are frizzle are you looking for? For instance, I have a frizzled Serama rooster and various smooth feathered hens as his companions.

There are several groups on FB for Pasco, Hernando, and Hillsborough Counties as well as the FL groups of chicken and livestock lovers. You might look them up if you utilize FB and get started in your search.

When will you get here and why can't you bring your birds with you? (just curious)

Back
Top Bottom