FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

This is the small pen the coyote got into. The fence is 5' high.

These were the survivors. I had moved the birds to another coop and pen. and an owl killed a couple more.

These are those survivors. After the owl attack in the other pen and coop I moved these birds to this coop and pen. They were bloody and really freaked out when I moved them. After that I moved these birds back to the other coop, covered all of the pens and added the electric wire around them too.

You covered them with bird netting, right? Hows that hold up to rain and what all? I been wanting to cover our chickens yard but the flow of cash under our roof has been...tight. Found some on line today for rounded up on $40.00 - for 25 x 50 ft, nylon multi-filament and says it's UV resistant. Thing is, $40 is $40 and I'd bought something like that for my truck bed and it didn't last but 2/3 years before it started going downhill. I need to get something cause we got a few hawks in our area and one even sets perch on the telephone pole just off our property. It's even set down ON the property with me in the yard not 15 feet away. Freaks the chickens a bit when it does that, and don't do me any good neither.

Here it is taking off...that's our drive

I bought 50' x 150' for about $125.00 on ebay. I put a max bid of 125.00 and got a message that I had won the bid. My pens are all 60' deep by around 20' wide so I was 10' short on the depth for the netting, so I went to TSC and bought some 14' wide by 150' long bird netting on sale for around $15.00 to $20.00 and put that up also so my pens are totally covered. It might not be too pretty but it works. I put it over the small trees that I had planted and now the trees have grown right through the netting. It has been a few years since I put the netting up. I'm old and loose track of time.

This is an older picture not too long after I planted the trees. Now all of the pens have shade trees in them too.

weird...I gave up sleep when we started our zoo! Dotty wakes me between 1 and 3 AM to go potty...she's got a bladder the size of a pea. Say hi Dotty girl

HI! I have a ball!

Dash needs a close eye on him so he doesn't play to hard...knee area ligament replacement surgery couple years back.

Maxwell P. Cat there, he steals bread. We found him under the Christmas tree one year...with a whole loaf of bread. "all I want for Christmas is...bread!"

Manon...helps...me file things...

Papillon lets me know when its time to feed everyone...loudly and without end

The twins just remembered they have wings...and flutter fly over the coop fence

Jeanie A.K.A. Chickzilla reigns over all she sees with an iron beak
I AM CHICKEN!

and new additions thanks to Jeanie being such a great nest sitter on cream leg bar eggs...Boo

and Poppin peep peep peep all the way home...haha

and you heard about Daisy the guinea pig...shes a pig. Seriously...she eats like she's going to die tomorrow

With all this free entertainment...who needs sleep??
big_smile.png
WOW!! Your zoo is getting big. I'm trying to talk my husband in to building another walk-in coop for more chickens. I'm not having much luck.

You covered them with bird netting, right? Hows that hold up to rain and what all? I been wanting to cover our chickens yard but the flow of cash under our roof has been...tight. Found some on line today for rounded up on $40.00 - for 25 x 50 ft, nylon multi-filament and says it's UV resistant. Thing is, $40 is $40 and I'd bought something like that for my truck bed and it didn't last but 2/3 years before it started going downhill. I need to get something cause we got a few hawks in our area and one even sets perch on the telephone pole just off our property. It's even set down ON the property with me in the yard not 15 feet away. Freaks the chickens a bit when it does that, and don't do me any good neither.

Here it is taking off...that's our drive

Haven't tried it but I have read that many have had good success just running some fishing line over the area. You can cover a fairly large space for very little. It restricts the hawk's attack line and discourages them.

I have 2 coops that DH and a friend built both open on one side. I had owls getting in and killing my birds. I did put tarps over the open side mainly to keep the feed dry when it rains.
This was before I put the netting up and after I moved the surviving birds out.

Tell him chickens are theraputic and you can show them and they are great egg layers and ...auhmmmmand and and...that he can watch sports whenever he wants...yay, that's the ticket...
I will try that!! I just got herb plants for my chickens to help with the flies and mosquitoes. I hope it works. I wish, I could fine a plant/herb for the no-see-ums bugs. They are bad this year at my house.

Hello everyone,
I'm in Palm Bay, Brevard County.
Since we are now in the storm season how would you protect your flock? We build our coop well, using truss clips and anchors in the ground. Any tips would be great.
Thanks so much
Giggles
1f413.png
1f413.png

Back
Top Bottom