FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

This thread is ongoing like the Enegizer bunny but it's been kind of quiet lately. I, for one, monitor the thread for activity and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Busy time of year for many of us. If you have questions, just post them.

Stay Tuned. We're a friendly bunch.

I didn't get a cooperative built before the birthday party, but our flock got a temporary tractor until the coop is built, and the chickss are in the small coops that we joined to give them more space. They all spent 4 days in their coop/tractor. We can only let the little ones out when we're close because our about 3 month old flock hasn't accepted them yet. We put the coops next to one another, I guess it's just gonna take time.

The older ones took to roosting in trees when they were in the small coop, but I thought it was because the coop was small. They have plenty of space and roots in the tractor, but they still took to the trees instead of going to the coop. What do I do to get them to go to their coop instead of the tree at night? Luckily we only have 6 to get out every night, but it's getting old and I'm back in school again.

Last edited:
You can get chickens to do ANYTHING for food. specially treats they'd turn the backs on their own mother for. When I let them have their way in the "human part of the yard" and it's time to put their butts back in their space...or enclosure...or coop...I make it known I got meal worms. Heck Swiss chard or anything ready, just make a show of it and before you know it their bottomless pits will rule over their "I do not want to ______" (fill in the blank) every time I ga run TEE! You'll be the pied piper. Or you'll get mugged. One or the other.
I can't take my lunch in there no way nu uh no sir. I learned quick. Used to go in there with a peach or some lunch time snack and they'd be all over me like locus. Before we found the boys homes, Marlin would even jump up on my arm or lap and steal what he though ought to taste good even AFTER I stopped taking "me food" in there.
Any hoo. Try food. Luck to you

Oh shoot I forgot to do my pictures. We put a kiddie pool in the yard for the girls so they could cool their feet in this Florida h e double hockey sticks summer and After a bit, I tossed in some feeder gold fish to take care of the mosquito larvae and the 10,000000 toad polliwogs and I was really enjoying them too. Sit out there with the chickens and watch the fish dart around...then yesterday morning, they were gone. Well I found what all happened to my pet shop rescued gold fish. Murdered by a chicken impostor! The killer even came back to the scene of it's crime!

You would THINK...the chickens would do something about this, this, this trespasser!

Oh and New pictures of my Jeanie's babies. Just about all grown up now. Beautiful, they grew up to be lookers. Crazy hair is all neat now. Their combs are perfect little barets!

This thread is ongoing like the Enegizer bunny but it's been kind of quiet lately. I, for one, monitor the thread for activity and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Busy time of year for many of us. If you have questions, just post them.

Stay Tuned. We're a friendly bunch.
For me it's maintenance on the pens and coops, sorting and moving birds around.

I didn't get a cooperative built before the birthday party, but our flock got a temporary tractor until the coop is built, and the chickss are in the small coops that we joined to give them more space. They all spent 4 days in their coop/tractor. We can only let the little ones out when we're close because our about 3 month old flock hasn't accepted them yet. We put the coops next to one another, I guess it's just gonna take time.

The older ones took to roosting in trees when they were in the small coop, but I thought it was because the coop was small. They have plenty of space and roots in the tractor, but they still took to the trees instead of going to the coop. What do I do to get them to go to their coop instead of the tree at night? Luckily we only have 6 to get out every night, but it's getting old and I'm back in school again.

You can get chickens to do ANYTHING for food. specially treats they'd turn the backs on their own mother for. When I let them have their way in the "human part of the yard" and it's time to put their butts back in their space...or enclosure...or coop...I make it known I got meal worms. Heck Swiss chard or anything ready, just make a show of it and before you know it their bottomless pits will rule over their "I do not want to ______" (fill in the blank) every time I ga run TEE! You'll be the pied piper. Or you'll get mugged. One or the other.
I can't take my lunch in there no way nu uh no sir. I learned quick. Used to go in there with a peach or some lunch time snack and they'd be all over me like locus. Before we found the boys homes, Marlin would even jump up on my arm or lap and steal what he though ought to taste good even AFTER I stopped taking "me food" in there.
Any hoo. Try food. Luck to you
I agree, treats are the way to a chickens heart. Put treats where you want them and get them used to them and they will eventually get the idea. You may have to make a small trail for them to follow to discover the big treat. I have a couple of temporary pens I put the chicks in during the day and they have cages they go in at night. Most night I put them away when It's starting to get dark and they are usually in their cages.

All total including the chicks (under 6 months old) around 400. I am sorting them out as some will be sold, some will go to freezer camp and some into the breeding coops and pens.

Wow! That' an impressive operation. We need more people to get involved in farming and livestock. Soon it will be only 3 or 4 people monopolizing everything

Yeah its nice when you got them in a program....so to speak. Like tonight, went to pick my boy up round 5:30 after his rotc thing and halfway there the clouds let loose.
Get back home and while I was out, because it was time to do it, head hen Jeanie had everyone in. So even though it poured down buckets while I was being taxi-dad...everyone was dry and safe.

Back
Top Bottom