FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I'll screenshot this detailed description of the summer you've had, for the next Washingtonian that mentions moving to Florida away from Our rain.
But wait! There's no state taxes and property taxes are fairly low. I lived in southeast Georgia most of my life and they taxed you to death up there. I moved to Florida 8 years ago, I wish I had moved here sooner! I wouldve saved more money. More money means more chickens!

I feel ya, my two bard rocks have zip- zero personality. They act like I beat them daily and dip them in hot wax.... Yet, they have no problem snatching goodies out of my hand. No more bard rocks here unless they are in a recipe...lol
Wells
That's too bad. I adore barred rock. I have a flock that are 7 weeks old right now and they're the friendliest, funniest group of chickens ever. Too friendly honestly. I can't walk anywhere without having one on each foot and practically tripping over all the others. Reaching for something is an invitation to perch on my arm. I'm going to have to teach them to be less friendly at this rate.

I avoid RIR though. There are always a few that are complete terrors and will relentlessly pick on others.

That's too bad. I adore barred rock. I have a flock that are 7 weeks old right now and they're the friendliest, funniest group of chickens ever. Too friendly honestly. I can't walk anywhere without having one on each foot and practically tripping over all the others. Reaching for something is an invitation to perch on my arm. I'm going to have to teach them to be less friendly at this rate.

I avoid RIR though. There are always a few that are complete terrors and will relentlessly pick on others.
I have to be fair. They were adults when I got them. I should withhold judgement until I raise a couple from youngsters (Bard Rock's). Everything I have read says RiR's like to be flock dominate..
I've decided on 4 Red stars, going to pick them up this weekend. 8 weeks old! This should be fun!

Yes, I'll be there bright and early... Nothing to sell but as moral support.

Attachments

• Coronavirus.jpg
    Coronavirus.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi all! I finally found ? A thread? For Floridians. I’m new to BYC so am not too familiar with how the website works. I live in Naples area gulf side s Florida. I’ve done the web introduction but in nutshell I have 13 4 mo old chickens. We (husband) are enjoying them so much. Wish we had thought about it years ago. I ordered 11 birds and received 13. All friendly,healthy but I am considering rehoming the two Dominique females if I can find a really good home. They are calm, friendly, follow you around for treats. They are not lap chickens like my Cochin. Is anyone familiar with the wooded areas in Florida and all the “ toxic” wild plants? I was going to free range my birds but I was too afraid of poisonous plants. We cleared a large area of most plants and fenced it. Love the cover though all the trees give. I hope to hear from some Floridians as we have some unique situations other states don’t have. Thanks!

:welcome :frow and to the Florida thread. I live near Ocala. We are rural. If you ever get up our way stop in and say hi. We have a farm swap at the Dunnellon Tractor Supply Co., twice a month. Lots of good folks. We have a lot of buyers and sellers. Good luck with your flock and have fun...

Hi all! I finally found ? A thread? For Floridians. I’m new to BYC so am not too familiar with how the website works. I live in Naples area gulf side s Florida. I’ve done the web introduction but in nutshell I have 13 4 mo old chickens. We (husband) are enjoying them so much. Wish we had thought about it years ago. I ordered 11 birds and received 13. All friendly,healthy but I am considering rehoming the two Dominique females if I can find a really good home. They are calm, friendly, follow you around for treats. They are not lap chickens like my Cochin. Is anyone familiar with the wooded areas in Florida and all the “ toxic” wild plants? I was going to free range my birds but I was too afraid of poisonous plants. We cleared a large area of most plants and fenced it. Love the cover though all the trees give. I hope to hear from some Floridians as we have some unique situations other states don’t have. Thanks!

Hey there & welcome to BYC!
Here's some info about weeds & poisonous plants that I posted in another thread awhile back. There's some helpful links from the University of Florida. Hope it helps you.

https://rcrec-ona.ifas.ufl.edu/weed-identification/

https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn-and-garden/poisonous-plants-in-florida/

https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/agriculture/toxic-plants/

Maybe these websites can help you with identifications?
My chickens aren't free ranging now because of predators, but as long as they have good grasses to forage they tend to avoid the weird stuff.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ag399
Creeping indigo is a bad one that I pull up whenever I see it!

There's also a neat Florida wildflower app that you can download on Google Play that could help identity native plants.
View attachment 2289791

Hey there & welcome to BYC!
Here's some info about weeds & poisonous plants that I posted in another thread awhile back. There's some helpful links from the University of Florida. Hope it helps you.
Thank you so much I’ve read many lists of what Weeds are toxic but couldn’t find a site to show me what they look like. I do know some of them but not all of them. There’s so many types into acres of forest.!

Back
Top Bottom