FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Another thing and while I can not condone it, and it is not the most 'responsible' way of going about things but... you could always just wait until someome bitches about him too. If nobody ever complains, then is he really a problem? Newer houses are pretty sound proof, older people are pretty sound resistant :D Maybe you can keep him and it won't cause problems? Worth a try at least Id think if worse come to worse.

aaron

Another thing and while I can not condone it, and it is not the most 'responsible' way of going about things but... you could always just wait until someome bitches about him too. If nobody ever complains, then is he really a problem? Newer houses are pretty sound proof, older people are pretty sound resistant :D Maybe you can keep him and it won't cause problems? Worth a try at least Id think if worse come to worse.

aaron
Oh I wish!! We already had a nosey body come around complaining.....

Oh great, gotta love the Karens of the HOA Nazi Brigade.
Need to buy another neighbor a barking dog as a present. that way they hear the dog barking all night, and can't complain about the rooster, as you can point to the dog and say, well that's louder so go there first ! :D

Gotta love neighbors like that though. Had one a few years ago but won't get into on a public board how he was taken care of :D

The nosy body, are they complete PITA's and are known or is this someone you might be able to bring some eggs over to and they might suddenly not be so upset?

Aaron

Hello. New to the wonderful world of chickens and thought all was going well until my 5 week old silkies started crowing. Snow White and Goldie Girl turns out are, well, not she's after all. :( Sigh. I love them and their fluffiness, but my neighborhood doesn't allow roosters. We bought them from TSC back in the first week of May, and were told there was a chance that they could be roos, but I couldn't resist their cuteness. I am heartbroken as they are also my lap chickies that coo. In the Gainesville, FL area and praying that I can find a nice, safe home for them. Any help is appreciated.
Hi,
I had a similar experience recently (2 of 4 "female" chicks turned out to be male :(). I ended up finding a home for one with a family member in a rural area, and I found a home for the second by searching for "farm animal sanctuaries" online. (My search was mostly in GA/ North FL, so I'm not sure about many in your area.) In my experience, most places had no room for more roosters, but they often know each other and may be able to point you somewhere else who can help. One place sent me this list of places who take chickens, assuming they're not already full: http://www.adoptabirdnetwork.com/chicken-sanctuaries-list.php

Good luck!

Hello. New to the wonderful world of chickens and thought all was going well until my 5 week old silkies started crowing. Snow White and Goldie Girl turns out are, well, not she's after all. :( Sigh. I love them and their fluffiness, but my neighborhood doesn't allow roosters. We bought them from TSC back in the first week of May, and were told there was a chance that they could be roos, but I couldn't resist their cuteness. I am heartbroken as they are also my lap chickies that coo. In the Gainesville, FL area and praying that I can find a nice, safe home for them. Any help is appreciated.
Also, if you're not 100% sure that the noise they're making is crowing, this thread is full of people who can consider photos and descriptions for you to confirm whether your chicks are males. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

Oh great, gotta love the Karens of the HOA Nazi Brigade.
Need to buy another neighbor a barking dog as a present. that way they hear the dog barking all night, and can't complain about the rooster, as you can point to the dog and say, well that's louder so go there first ! :D

Gotta love neighbors like that though. Had one a few years ago but won't get into on a public board how he was taken care of :D

The nosy body, are they complete PITA's and are known or is this someone you might be able to bring some eggs over to and they might suddenly not be so upset?

Aaron
Thank you. LOL. She wasn't interested in the eggs, but made her point. Honestly, we knew we couldn't have roosters, and never intended to get any. My fault as I couldn't resist the adorable silkie babies, and was told there was no guarantee that they would be hens. I just can't believe that they both turned about to be roosters.

So appreciate your support and suggestions!

Hi,
I had a similar experience recently (2 of 4 "female" chicks turned out to be male :(). I ended up finding a home for one with a family member in a rural area, and I found a home for the second by searching for "farm animal sanctuaries" online. (My search was mostly in GA/ North FL, so I'm not sure about many in your area.) In my experience, most places had no room for more roosters, but they often know each other and may be able to point you somewhere else who can help. One place sent me this list of places who take chickens, assuming they're not already full: http://www.adoptabirdnetwork.com/chicken-sanctuaries-list.php

Good luck!
Thank you so much! I will look into the adoptabirdnetwork for sure! We really are concerned that they be treated well, we have hand fed them and they are so cuddly. A bit sad about this, but will feel better if I can find a good home for them.

If I was you, Id record them crowing, get a loud speaker, aim it at karens house and right about 950 pm, right before curfew, let that thing rip for about 10 minutes every night. what can she do, it's not curfew yet and you DON'T have roosters. ... :)

given they are silkie's ie cuddly... let me check the farm I volunteer at, he typically is not keen on roosters but we Do have kids there and if they are fairly tame and cute as you put it, i might ocnvince him to take them. You said you are in north florida area right?

Aaron

If I was you, Id record them crowing, get a loud speaker, aim it at karens house and right about 950 pm, right before curfew, let that thing rip for about 10 minutes every night. what can she do, it's not curfew yet and you DON'T have roosters. ... :)

given they are silkie's ie cuddly... let me check the farm I volunteer at, he typically is not keen on roosters but we Do have kids there and if they are fairly tame and cute as you put it, i might ocnvince him to take them. You said you are in north florida area right?

Aaron
Haha, that would be too much! Besides there person in question lives too far away for that to be effective. :).

Yes, they are cute and cuddly, and when in your lap they will even purr as they are being pet. That being said, they of course make quite a spectacle when being pursued to be picked up. We always reward them with meal worms or oats when we they are in our laps, talk to them and then very gently put them down, they still run to us whenever we are out with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom