FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Has anyone on here gone to the Lonesome Dove swap around Lakeland? It's this Saturday, the first Sat of every month. I still have 30 chicks to sell, but I don't want to make the drive if it's just a small meet.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my chicken friends and making new ones, but I've got to be rid of some chicks and gas ain't getting any cheaper.
Patty I think it is scheduled for the 18th this month at TSC. Believe I read that on a FB page. http://www.facebook.com/events/list Never been either, but thinking about going this month. I still have a bunch of chicks too. .....stan

Has anyone on here gone to the Lonesome Dove swap around Lakeland? It's this Saturday, the first Sat of every month. I still have 30 chicks to sell, but I don't want to make the drive if it's just a small meet.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my chicken friends and making new ones, but I've got to be rid of some chicks and gas ain't getting any cheaper.

I've only been once and it was real close to Easter so that may have had some impact. Quail were moving well and wee little ones but not anything in between. Thanks for the Sevin dust tip.

Patty I think it is scheduled for the 18th this month at TSC. Believe I read that on a FB page. http://www.facebook.com/events/list Never been either, but thinking about going this month. I still have a bunch of chicks too. .....stan
What do you have left Stan? I'm fighting fowl pox, and may have to replace some birds, and still want to get some Barred Rocks.

Hello to all the new folks.

Ingrid, Outback is one of the chickens with pox, but it looks like it is dry, so I think he will be OK. He knows which pullets are his, but they are still not laying, and are not interested in his advances. He has lost some tail feathers establishing his place in the flock, but he seems to have been accepted.

Is anyone else frustrated with their chickens right now? I have 30 chickens, and I am getting 2 eggs a day. The older girls are all on strike. Any tips to get them laying again? I can't wait until all the spring chicks start laying. They are really late starting this year.

cindy

Outback

Hey Cindy, Outback looks great. Had fowl pox 2 years ago. All recovered with no losses. Egg production way down in the main pen. Lost 2 hens from the heat. An older one and one of my white rock pullets. Planning on setting Aussie eggs on the 12th. Still have the three roos all still get along great. :D

Oh gosh...what do I do to avoid fowl pox??? How do you know if you have them??
Wild birds carry it so it's nearly unavoidable. It can be very mild in the dry form to deadly in the wet form if not caught quickly enough. Don't stress over what you cannot control.

Stan, this is the one I'm talking about, it is THIS Saturday.
https://www.facebook.com/events/446922161997689/
Monthly on the first Saturday
Contact Eric for more details 863-665-0070
[email protected]
$2 or so for setup fees to sell. This will cover ad space in some local papers & magazines. He has a nice grass lot out back for a sunny set up. He is located at a busy intersection and has a great client base.

Set up is now at 8am and the public starts rollin in about then.............

Lonesome Dove Feed & Farm
3419 E County Road 542, Lakeland, Florida 33801

People have encouraged me to go to one in Plant City next weekend, not this weekend, but I really need to get a lot sold sooner, since I'm back to work on August 13th. Things are hectic after that.

There are two kinds of fowl pox wet and dry. Wet pox effects the mucus membranes in the mouth and eyes. It is the most serious and can cause respiratory obstruction. Dry pox effects the comb, wattles, face and eye lids. Fowl pox are spread by mosquitoes not direct contact. It is only fatal in the very young or old. For the most part it is self limiting and after recovery they have a lifetime immunity. It is in the same family as chicken pox that effect people. There is a vaccine available for about 5 bucks and will vaccinate a couple hundred birds and is given by a puncture or scratch, in the web of the wing, and offers a lifetime immunity. I do have a bottle but never saw the need to use it as I didn't have any chicks at the time and having had the dry variety choose to let it run its course. A vaccine given to chickens already infected will not prevent the virus. It is a virus and does not respond to antibiotics. Hope this helps. I did my homework. LOL

What do you have left Stan? I'm fighting fowl pox, and may have to replace some birds, and still want to get some Barred Rocks.
Cindy, all I have left are Barred Rocks and some blue rock chicks. The BRs are just over 3 months old and sexed. $10 for the pullets, cockerels are free. I don't expect them to be ready to lay until spring. They are VERY slow to mature. I hope you have the dry pox, it is mostly harmless. ..........stan

Back
Top Bottom