Florida coop design help

Shadowmadra78

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Apopka Florida
Background: The coop is going to be 10'x8' with a lean to roof. It will be attached to a 10'x20' run. We were thinking of using a sand floor but given the weight (1.3k to 2k+ pounds) and I don't want to engineer a floor to support that much weight. We've got 10 Buff Orpington chicks (2.5 weeks old at this point), and may look at getting 10 more of the same size later. Given the weight of sand we've decided to just build it to the ground, no "floor".

Question: I live in Florida, and it get's rabidly hot. I'm thinking of making the bottom "open" with 1/4" hardware cloth going around the opening area. If so, how big should that opening be between the ground and the start of the wall? We're looking at metal roofing so I'm also wondering how much ventilation should I be looking at as the minimum? Attached is a photo of where we're looking at putting the coop and run, and it'll be in the back left corner near the tree line. It get's sun for the majority of the day (picture is looking west) but get's shady around 5 to 6 p.m. Any thoughts, advice, all welcome as this is my first time doing this and I'm having to learn a lot about construction.

Attachments

• Coop and Run Location.jpg
    Coop and Run Location.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 17
I live in Florida and mine are more run and small coop. Also ours was built in the shade due to the hot temps. The shade keeps the chickens much cooler and I havent noticed my birds "panting" during the hot months unless they are laying an egg. We are currently adding on to our coop and changing over to hardware cloth. Also installing nesting boxes that we can get to from the outside I will post a picture but remember we are in transition. We used plastic roofing that allows the water to run off. Original design was an 8x8 and extension is an 8x10

Attachments

• 10926.jpeg
    10926.jpeg
    787.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 10923.jpeg
    10923.jpeg
    808.6 KB · Views: 12
I like some of the designs you all have suggested. My only few bits of paranoia are making sure the chickens are protected from hurricanes, and are ultra safe from predators. We're looking at using 1"x1" hardware cloth for the run, and given some snakes around here can make it through that I want the coop to be locked down against that. Also we have raccoons, possums, and coyote's as well as the occasional neighbors dog which might be very aggressive against chickens so I want it as absolutely predator proof as possible. That's why, while I like the idea of the fully open front design, I want them to have a place where I know they are absolutely safe to the best of my ability without having to spend an additional $400-$800 in hardware cloth

Back
Top Bottom