FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

I've just read that you can have ONE chicken if you live in Brevard "county". How about if you live inside the city limits (like West Melbourne)? Having just one chicken sounds a bit ridiculous. Who'll they cluck to??

I heard a rumor on public radio station that said people were trying to pass a law to allow anyone in Fort Pierce, Vero Beach, and Port St Lucie to have backyard chickens, but I never heard if it passed or was pending or what the full story was about the topic. I'm not sure if they were talking about Indian River too or not as they mentioned it was about the "Treasure Coast." Maybe someone else has more info.

hello, I live in NY and I have chickens but I want to move to Florida so I can have a rooster as well, does anyone know where in Florida we are allowed to raise roosters?

Thanks,

M.

Pasco County allows backyard chickens. Just spoke to the City of New Port Richey's code enforcement officer, an awesome gal named Liz. She said that county states we are allowed to have hens (including within city limits) and they just need to be "contained". My chickens are "contained" in my fenced in backyard and they are locked in the coop only at night. She also told me that the code doesn't specify a max number limit on how many you are allowed to have...
1f608.png
1f609.png
so I will tentatively assume 8-10 in a coop is fair game!

Last edited:
Brevard Cty has a pretty liberal policy. 4 chickens per 1/2 acre

http://www.avidhomestead.com/brevard-county-florida-chicken-ordinance.aspx

Sec. 62-2108. Farm animals and fowl.
hyperlink.png

It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, harbor, breed or maintain upon any premises not zoned for agricultural use or otherwise excepted in accordance with this chapter, any of the following: bees, roosters, peacocks, horses, ponies, cattle, goats, pigs or other livestock, or more than one of the following: pigeons, chickens, ducks, or other fowl.
In all single-family residential zones, on lots of at least one-half acre minimum, up to four chickens (no roosters or other fowl) may be permitted per one-half acre of land. Housing, such as coops, that is not considered to be a barn, stall or paddock is required and must meet the setback requirements for accessory structures in accordance with the zoning classification. All fowl are for the personal, non-commercial use of the occupants only. Breeding and slaughtering of any fowl is strictly prohibited. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be liable in accordance with sections 62-1105 and 62-1106.

(Code 1979, § 14-20.28; Ord. No. 98-04, § 1, 1-29-98; Ord. No. 2012-36, § 2, 12-6-12)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if chickens are allowed in Orange Park South subdivision off of CR220? My city is Middleburg but I do not know about rules for residential. Thanks in advance..

Back
Top Bottom