Florida Toad problems

BuffaloridaGirl

Songster
7 Years
Sep 16, 2015
Gulf Coast Central Florida
I live north of Tampa FL in a small suburb by the Cotee river. Some recent rain has made it prime location for the poisonous Bufo toad. I've lived in FL for 11 years and had never heard of this pest before. My dog bite it and killed it, and IMMEDIATELY started foaming up at the mouth continuously and luckily I told the hubby "Idk what's happening? He just but a toad?!" Had to carry my big baby of a pointer mix and rinse out his mouth numerous times with the handheld nozzle in shower. He was shaking but we got it right away so he made it just fine. Other dogs I have read not are usually not as lucky as this is lethal.

Problem is now: I just found my fluffy yellow BO Vera dangling ANOTHER toad from her mouth. She seems to be acting ok, it happened about 40 minutes ago and I am watching all nine chickens in my backyard making sure everyone is ok.

Anyone have experience with these Bufo or Cane Toads??

Hi BG, we are also infested with these scary toads here in South Florida! Your dog is lucky in that you flushed her mouth in time, my friend's dog unfortunately died just 30minutes after biting a Bufo toad :(. I've read that the toads are poisonous to all creatures. Hope your BO is okay!

Thanks! We are past the hour mark now, she's acting normal as is everyone else.

New insights are welcome too!!! Keep it coming bc there isn't much info on the subject on BYC!
1f913.png

Back
Top Bottom