Fluconazole

Dosing is usually 10mg/kg once a day for 7 days. So you need to weigh her, a digital kitchen scale works well. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so you would give 10 mg per each 2.2 lbs of body weight. If it's a tablet, I would grind it up (mortar and pestle if you have it) and mix it in some softened (not melted) coconut oil and divide it into the number of doses (a 6 lb bird / 2.2 lbs = 2.7, 2.7 x 10 mg = 27.3 mg dose, so your 150 mg tablet would make about 5 & 1/2 doses for a 6 lb bird). Hope that helps.
Below is from Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook:
1688571149197.png

Dosing is usually 10mg/kg once a day for 7 days. So you need to weigh her, a digital kitchen scale works well. 1 kg = 2.2 lbs, so you would give 10 mg per each 2.2 lbs of body weight. If it's a tablet, I would grind it up (mortar and pestle if you have it) and mix it in some softened (not melted) coconut oil and divide it into the number of doses (a 6 lb bird / 2.2 lbs = 2.7, 2.7 x 10 mg = 27.3 mg dose, so your 150 mg tablet would make about 5 & 1/2 doses for a 6 lb bird). Hope that helps.
Below is from Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook:
View attachment 3566728
Thank you very much! 🙂

Jeez, I got distracted......after you divide into doses, put them on parchement paper or plastic wrap and freeze them. Then they are like a custom pill. They usually go down easy. You can break each into smaller pieces if needed, but usually even a fairly large piece will go down. When you take them out of the freezer, hold them in a paper towel so the heat from your hands/fingers doesn't melt them before you get to the bird.

Jeez, I got distracted......after you divide into doses, put them on parchement paper or plastic wrap and freeze them. Then they are like a custom pill. They usually go down easy. You can break each into smaller pieces if needed, but usually even a fairly large piece will go down. When you take them out of the freezer, hold them in a paper towel so the heat from your hands/fingers doesn't melt them before you get to the bird.
I gave it to her after the post and went out gardening. I came back and she had vomited and was dead. I believe she choked on her vomit 😢 It’s so sad.

I'm so sorry. :hugs
Many times crop problems are only a symptom of something else going on farther down inside. One of the more frustrating things to try to treat as you can't see what's really going on. Often it's a reproductive problem, cancer or infection, or organ failure and digestion slows or stops. So even treating the sour crop is not always the real answer.
If you haven't seen them, these are good articles on crop issues:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm so sorry. :hugs
Many times crop problems are only a symptom of something else going on farther down inside. One of the more frustrating things to try to treat as you can't see what's really going on. Often it's a reproductive problem, cancer or infection, or organ failure and digestion slows or stops. So even treating the sour crop is not always the real answer.
If you haven't seen them, these are good articles on crop issues:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. It broke my heart. I had worked on her for a solid 3-4 weeks. I do tend to agree with you. We had been battling it for a solid month. She had made leaps and bounds in improvements. About 3 weeks ago I thought she wasn't going to make it. Unfortunately over the last month, she had gotten so thin bc she wasn’t eating like she had been and I was feeding her often through a dropper. She was only three years old and had not laid any eggs this season, which I’ve never had happened before. I couldn’t understand why she hadn’t been producing, and then the sour crop started. There had to have been something else. She just struggled so much to digest her food. It’s so sad! I appreciate you pointing that out and sharing. Thank you! 💛

Back
Top Bottom