Oral Tablet Nystatin for Hen with Sour Crop

AWa3785

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Hi all!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here and surprisingly it was about sour crop for one of my very sick hens. Well today I noticed one of my girls has sour crop. I know all the ways I can treat it but I was curious- we have a Nystatin medication here that’s 500,000 per tablet unit. Does anyone know if it’s possible to treat with nystatin tablets? I don’t have an Rx for Nystatin cream but I happen to have this so I could start treating her right now if it’s an option.

Hope someone knows and thanks in advance!

The dosage is 200,000 to 300,000 units per kilogram (each 2.2 pounds,) every 8-12 hours. So, you could give her 1 tablet twice a day. That would treat an an 4.4 pound chicken. About how much does she weigh? You can get Medistatin (Nystatin for birds online, and dosage is on the package) which many people use. Many people also use Monistat or miconazole cream orally.

Thank you @Eggcessive. I have purchased it previously online but I was hoping to get her started on something asap and not wait. I might start her on that while also co-treating her with miconazole- do you feel there is any contraindication in a dual treatment like that? In the meantime, I will get the bird specific Nystatin ordered.

Back
Top Bottom