Fluffed Up Chick

jellyroll

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2018
I've got about a 6-7 week old chick that is "puffed up" and not really gaining weight/size. All of the other chicks (21 in total) are doing fine and growing fine. Last week, this chick in particular, started fluffing herself up and wasn't as active as the others (and has still not been as active).

I've put her in a cat kennel to check out poop and food consumption. She's (at least I think its a she) been eating outside, will eat inside the coop, but continues to stay "puffed" up. I've left a heat lamp on and she stays under it most of the day. Even when outside, she keeps to herself and doesn't really do the rest of the "group" activities.

Any ideas? I've checked her vent, but I really can't see anything. I'm hoping to see something while she's inside.

Jellyroll

I've got about a 6-7 week old chick that is "puffed up" and not really gaining weight/size. All of the other chicks (21 in total) are doing fine and growing fine. Last week, this chick in particular, started fluffing herself up and wasn't as active as the others (and has still not been as active).

I've put her in a cat kennel to check out poop and food consumption. She's (at least I think its a she) been eating outside, will eat inside the coop, but continues to stay "puffed" up. I've left a heat lamp on and she stays under it most of the day. Even when outside, she keeps to herself and doesn't really do the rest of the "group" activities.

Any ideas? I've checked her vent, but I really can't see anything. I'm hoping to see something while she's inside.

Jellyroll
Can You post a picture to see how she is looking?

Is

Jellyroll
Is the chick showing any signs as
-Not eating
-walking weird
- no balance
-or hurt

A quick update.

She is on medicated food.
No other chicks are acting in any similarity.
Since putting her in the kennel, she has pooped, and it's normal.
Have been applying MedRx to head and underside of wings for the last 2 days.

Very perplexed.

I posted the earlier post prior to seeing the responses.

When she's in the run, she's seeking food like the others. Not as active, but finds things to eat non the less.
Her balance is good.
She's not walking any weird way, just doesn't prefer to walk for most of the time......but she does walk on occasion without issue.
She doesn't appear hurt either.

Here's a picture of her.

IMG_2250.JPG

I posted the earlier post prior to seeing the responses.

When she's in the run, she's seeking food like the others. Not as active, but finds things to eat non the less.
Her balance is good.
She's not walking any weird way, just doesn't prefer to walk for most of the time......but she does walk on occasion without issue.
She doesn't appear hurt either.

Here's a picture of her.

View attachment 1560104
She dosent look to good, is she just sleeping, does the chick sleep during a majorty of the day?

Hard to say how much she sleeps. But she’s not near as active as the others. Most of the time I find her just “chillin”. Even in the run, she’s sometimes just in her fluff pose.
But, I’ll turn around and she’s picking up bugs......still fluffed though.

6-7 week old chick that is "puffed up" and not really gaining weight/size.
She's (at least I think its a she) been eating outside, will eat inside the coop, but continues to stay "puffed" up. I've left a heat lamp on and she stays under it most of the day. Even when outside, she keeps to herself and doesn't really do the rest of the "group" activities.
Can you post photos of her poop?

With her age and how she is puffed up, I would treat her for Coccidiosis.
You can get Corid at Tractor Supply in the cattle section.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

web_corid-grp.jpg

Not sure if this picture helps or not.

And this is my first run at chicks, so my question is about the medicated feed. I guess it's not full proof against Coccidiosis?
IMG_2251.JPG

Back
Top Bottom