Fluffed up chickens

OK, got the Corid and gave the treatment dosage to everyone. I gave it to the sickest one via eye dropper, who was barely hanging on, and she unfortunately just passed not long ago :(. I am so sad! It was only a little over 24 hours that I thought something could be wrong. I feel completely responsible and hope I have more knowledge now to to help with future problems. But it made me think....what medications should I always have on hand? And I am VERY thankful for all of the advice, hopefully everything will return to good health!

Lenabella, I agree with Enola and Suzie about getting your chicks on Corid right away. They look exactly like pictures of chicks with coccidiosis. Dosage is Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon, for 5-7 days. Then give them several days of vitamins and probiotics after Corid is completed. Corid (amprollium, Ampromed, Amprol) is a cattle medicine used for chickens.

30041.jpg
corid-20-soluble-powder-10-oz-20.jpg

They only had powder, and I gave 1.5 tsp/gal. And double checking....I SHOULD give the prevention dose to my old hens as well? and I also have a few 2 week olds...also the prevention dose of 1/3 tsp/gal? It wouldn't hurt, right? And just to be certain, toss out their eggs for a week or two? Thank you sooooo very much for all of the help!!!!!

Does anyone know why Cocci makes the feathers fluff up?

Eggs do not need to be tossed out with Corid--there is no egg withdrawal. The preventative dose can be used with young chicks, and can be given again every 3 weeks until they are 3 months old. In birds 11-20 weeks old, they usually have developed some immunity to coccidia in the soil. Ruffled feathers is a sign of fever. Puffing up or hunching is a sign of pain or chilling.

Last edited:
How long do I treat with salumet? I can find dosage but not duration.
It depends on whether you are treating for coccidiosis or coryza. For coccidiosis, I would recommend Corid (amprollium) since it treats all chicken strain of coccidia, where Sulmet only treats the 2 worst strains. Here is the Sulmet dosage instructions:

Sulmet Drinking Water Solution 12.5% Dosage And Administration

Dosage: Poultry: Add 2 tablespoons (1 fl oz) to each gallon of drinking water, or the contents of the 16 fl oz container to 16 gallons, or the contents of the 1 gallon container to 128 gallons. Following administration directions below, this will provide a recommended dose of approximately 61 to 89 mg/lb/day (134 to 196 mg/kg/day) body weight in chickens and 53 to 130 mg/lb/day (117 to 286 mg/kg/day) body weight in turkeys, depending upon the dosage, age and class of chickens or turkeys, ambient temperature, and other factors.

Administration: Chickens and Turkeys: Add the required dose given above to that amount of water that will be consumed in 1 day. Water consumption should be carefully checked to insure adequate drug intake. As a generalization, 100 turkeys will drink 1 gallon of water per day for each week of age; chickens will consume one-half this amount.
Infectious Coryza (in chickens): Medicate for 2 consecutive days.
Acute Fowl Cholera and Pullorum Disease (in chickens): Medicate for 6 consecutive days.
Coccidiosis (in chickens and turkeys): Medicate as above for 2 days, then reduce amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half above for 4 additional days.

Back
Top Bottom