Fluorescent yellow poop from sick pullet

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi All :frow

I have a six month old pullet that is taking a turn that came on quickly. She is slow, not eating a whole lot, but drinking more than usual. She is with about 9 other girls that are six months to a year.

I’ve attached pics of her poop, but it is very watery and like a fluorescent yellow. There are two of her siblings with her, one is laying, but I haven’t found any eggs from them. I did find a soft shelled eggs last well under the roost, but no idea who laid it.

I treated this girl for wry neck when she was very young, but it only took one dose of vitamin e and it went away. I’ve been giving her vitamin e and b12. I do have Marek’s in my flock, and have lost a couple to it, but this girl isn’t showing symptoms like that.

Would love to know what this poop should be telling me. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5158.jpeg
    IMG_5158.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5155.jpeg
    IMG_5155.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Thank you!

Her abdomen feels fine, I don’t feel any egg, but she has definitely lost weight in that her breast bone is more prominent.

Crop feels fine, not very full. No bugs I can see. She’s basically just laying in the dirt now.
Her face looks pretty pale, like she has anemia.
Yellow poop, can be caused by a reproductive problem, or a liver problem.

Her face looks pretty pale, like she has anemia.
Yellow poop, can be caused by a reproductive problem, or a liver problem.
Yes, she is very pale, usually a bright red. I have had a pullet die of reproductive issues, and this doesn’t look like the two Marek’s deaths I’ve had.

I don’t want to OD her on vitamins, which would you suggest giving her, the E and B complex, or Calcium?

It’s always the favorites 😢

Yes, she is very pale, usually a bright red. I have had a pullet die of reproductive issues, and this doesn’t look like the two Marek’s deaths I’ve had.

I don’t want to OD her on vitamins, which would you suggest giving her, the E and B complex, or Calcium?

It’s always the favorites 😢
I think MysteryChicken is probably on the right track with Liver problems.
Bright colours in poop are not a good sign. I've found that bright green and bright yellow tend to mean the chicken isn't likely to recover I'm sorry to say.

I think MysteryChicken is probably on the right track with Liver problems.
Bright colours in poop are not a good sign. I've found that bright green and bright yellow tend to mean the chicken isn't likely to recover I'm sorry to say.
Well thank you so much for that.

I wish they would just come up with some blood test that could tell you every ailment they have in their system. That would take the anxiety of it all away 😣

I’ll continue treating her and make sure she’s comfortable. I just cut my flock in half, she made the cut and got sick. She could get better, but she could get worse.

Hi All :frow

I have a six month old pullet that is taking a turn that came on quickly. She is slow, not eating a whole lot, but drinking more than usual. She is with about 9 other girls that are six months to a year.

I’ve attached pics of her poop, but it is very watery and like a fluorescent yellow. There are two of her siblings with her, one is laying, but I haven’t found any eggs from them. I did find a soft shelled eggs last well under the roost, but no idea who laid it.

I treated this girl for wry neck when she was very young, but it only took one dose of vitamin e and it went away. I’ve been giving her vitamin e and b12. I do have Marek’s in my flock, and have lost a couple to it, but this girl isn’t showing symptoms like that.

Would love to know what this poop should be telling me. Thanks!
I wish I had an answer for you but I'm going through something similar. My hen barely eats (except watermelon) but drinks tons and has very watery poop. I did take her to the vet last Friday and x rays/exam didn't reveal much except that everything looked good except for low weight. The vet decided to put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. I'm tube feeding her critical care once or twice daily until the antibiotic has time to work.

Back
Top Bottom