Flying chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henaynei, Dec 2, 2018.

1. henaynei

henaynei Songster

Aug 26, 2013
    Ashe County, NC
    Hi y’all

I have several Brown Leghorns. I know, I know…they are strong fliers. I just didn’t know How strong!

I’ve clipped the flight feathers on Both wings and they STILL fly over my 50 inch fencing.

About the only thing I can figure is to clip their primaries also.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!

Compost King likes this.
  2. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I had leghorns (with out clipped wings) make it up 7 and a half feet. they just can't quite make 8 feet (not saying other leghorns can't). 50 inches is about 4 feet, yeah I am not shocked they can clear that with their wings clipped. More than anything Leghorns are determined escape artists, they will exploit any weakness and constantly search for a way to escape confinement. On the bright side when they are confined and can not escape they handle crowding better than other breeds.

As far as clipping more feathers... I have no idea because I never clip them. The only thing I know is that clipping one wing works better than clipping both. When I watched people clip wings they just clipped 2 feathers on one wing.

henaynei and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of how the wings are clipped, your birds.

henaynei and Compost King like this.
  4. henaynei

henaynei Songster

Aug 26, 2013
    Ashe County, NC
    I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post on line :)

5. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I recall how my leghorns would clear fences, mine were fully wing feathered and the fences were much higher to where they struggled to make it. Let me know if this is what it look likes.

The Birds would fly into the fence and keep flapping and flapping until they get fully over. If this is the case I have a solution but I can't describe it nor can I draw an illustration and get it into a computer file. I will look to see if I can find a picture of how to stop that. It will only stop them if they are clearing the fence the way I described above.

henaynei likes this.
  6. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    https://www.purrfectfence.com I am not saying buy this product (rip off) but the concept of this fence is what I used to stop leghorns from getting over a fence when I struggled to contain them. They couldn't clear a fence cleanly and that type of a contraption pretty much stop them from trying and eventually kept them in. If possible you might want to find someone who is willing to trade birds with you and you can get a heavier breed that can't fly.

henaynei likes this.
  7. henaynei

henaynei Songster

Aug 26, 2013
    Ashe County, NC
    That looks enticing to this human and challenging for the leghorns! I'll have to work on creating something like that myself!! Thank you!

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    henaynei likes this.
  9. henaynei

henaynei Songster

Aug 26, 2013
    Ashe County, NC
    centrarchid likes this.
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging