Flying chickens

I had leghorns (with out clipped wings) make it up 7 and a half feet. they just can't quite make 8 feet (not saying other leghorns can't). 50 inches is about 4 feet, yeah I am not shocked they can clear that with their wings clipped. More than anything Leghorns are determined escape artists, they will exploit any weakness and constantly search for a way to escape confinement. On the bright side when they are confined and can not escape they handle crowding better than other breeds.

As far as clipping more feathers... I have no idea because I never clip them. The only thing I know is that clipping one wing works better than clipping both. When I watched people clip wings they just clipped 2 feathers on one wing.

I recall how my leghorns would clear fences, mine were fully wing feathered and the fences were much higher to where they struggled to make it. Let me know if this is what it look likes.

The Birds would fly into the fence and keep flapping and flapping until they get fully over. If this is the case I have a solution but I can't describe it nor can I draw an illustration and get it into a computer file. I will look to see if I can find a picture of how to stop that. It will only stop them if they are clearing the fence the way I described above.

https://www.purrfectfence.com I am not saying buy this product (rip off) but the concept of this fence is what I used to stop leghorns from getting over a fence when I struggled to contain them. They couldn't clear a fence cleanly and that type of a contraption pretty much stop them from trying and eventually kept them in. If possible you might want to find someone who is willing to trade birds with you and you can get a heavier breed that can't fly.

I recall how my leghorns would clear fences, mine were fully wing feathered and the fences were much higher to where they struggled to make it. Let me know if this is what it look likes.

The Birds would fly into the fence and keep flapping and flapping until they get fully over. If this is the case I have a solution but I can't describe it nor can I draw an illustration and get it into a computer file. I will look to see if I can find a picture of how to stop that. It will only stop them if they are clearing the fence the way I described above.

https://www.purrfectfence.com I am not saying buy this product (rip off) but the concept of this fence is what I used to stop leghorns from getting over a fence when I struggled to contain them. They couldn't clear a fence cleanly and that type of a contraption pretty much stop them from trying and eventually kept them in. If possible you might want to find someone who is willing to trade birds with you and you can get a heavier breed that can't fly.
That looks enticing to this human and challenging for the leghorns! I'll have to work on creating something like that myself!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom