FLYSTRIKE!! I need info *GRAPHIC PHOTO

Pics
Heres a poop photo! Lol it looks way better than yesterday. It was complete water yesterday morning. it's just a weird green color. which may not be abnormal..I guess I've seen this color from my hens sometimes too

Attachments

• 20200528_143236.jpg
    20200528_143236.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 26
I have a not so good update..went outside to feed and water everyone. Mr rooster has been acting kind of strange today. Laying around closing his eyes and when he stands up he looks at his body strangely. So I take him out to check him over. The wound looks pretty darn good. Its dry and looks like it will heal up soon although it is black still. I've just discovered that some of the maggots have migrated from the wound and onto his back..they were crawling all over him. I wish I would of taken a picture but I was so horrified that I just started lifting his feathers and dousing him with the screw worm spray. They immediately started squirming all over and falling off..but these things were burrowing into his back. Some of them were under his skin..I think they may have chewed up a layer of his skin because it was all stringy..all over his back. I'm hoping the all ones on his body will die and fall off..I'm not sure what to do if they dont..I'll attach a picture of my work area after spraying his body

Attachments

• 20200528_193155.jpg
    20200528_193155.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 24
I have a not so good update..went outside to feed and water everyone. Mr rooster has been acting kind of strange today. Laying around closing his eyes and when he stands up he looks at his body strangely. So I take him out to check him over. The wound looks pretty darn good. Its dry and looks like it will heal up soon although it is black still. I've just discovered that some of the maggots have migrated from the wound and onto his back..they were crawling all over him. I wish I would of taken a picture but I was so horrified that I just started lifting his feathers and dousing him with the screw worm spray. They immediately started squirming all over and falling off..but these things were burrowing into his back. Some of them were under his skin..I think they may have chewed up a layer of his skin because it was all stringy..all over his back. I'm hoping the all ones on his body will die and fall off..I'm not sure what to do if they dont..I'll attach a picture of my work area after spraying his body
Poor guy :( I think you are doing well and doing all you can, I personally don't know what else I would do at this point other than what you've already done.

Poor guy :( I think you are doing well and doing all you can, I personally don't know what else I would do at this point other than what you've already done.
I know..I feel so bad they went up onto his back. These maggots are ruthless. I WILL kill every last one of these things. Even if my rooster ends up not even making it. I will make sure these things are dead and off my property. I dont want another case of this..ever.

Fought a brutal war with maggots a few summers ago. My mother could stick her finger all the way to her second knuckle into the hole those nasty things ate into one of our production reds. It took a bit but she survived, lots of iodine and hydrogen peroxide if I remember correctly...yeah after using tweezers to pick the maggots out of the cavity of that poor bird I can safely say maggots are possibly the NASTIEST CREATURES EVER....ok jeez I’ve got the heeby jeebies just thinking about them. I hope your poor dude makes it. I can have my mom get on here and talk about what she did and how she did it if you think it would be helpful. Sounds like you have it under control though. Sending good vibes to you and your rooster :)

Back
Top Bottom