Flystrike wound healing process

tizabel_

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
North Central Washington
My beautiful rooster recently went to the vet because of a horrible Flystrike wound, they gave us a disinfectant to clean it and an antibiotic to squirt in the wound daily for a month. They said the maggots had made a tunnel all the way from under his butt into his chest, poor thing :(
My mom and I have been treating him every day for a little over a week and we’ve noticed he’s been feeling better. Today however i noticed that there was what looked to be a black, dirt-covered scab covering all of the exposed flesh and it was starting to peel off. I really hope taking it off was what I was supposed to do, it was really easy and it was already going to come off I just felt like having it hang half way off wasn’t right. Underneath was pink flesh, I just cleaned at treated it like usual.
I was supposed to be isolating him from his hens to keep them from cannabalizing him but it was windy last night and his set-up fell apart and the tarp tore. So I let he got out and I let him stay because i don’t know how to keep him isolated without the tarp. He has a very fluffy butt and the wound isn’t visible behind his feathers so I don’t think they’re going to find it.

My questions:
Does the scab mean that it’s getting better and should I have taken it off?
Is there any reason not to let him be with his hens, other than cannibalism, such as mating with them?

Thanks, I’m a new chicken owner so i’m still learning things but I’m trying my best to keep them happy and healthy.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the wound and of your rooster?
I'm glad you were able to see the vet and have him treated.

Is he active, eating/drinking on his own?
Do the hens pick at him?

Have you figured out the reason why he had FlyStrike - was he sick, did he have any injury that got infested....
Do you have other roosters?

How old is he?

The scab coming off and healthy skin underneath is a good thing. It's hard to know if he will be fine with the hens or not - there's a lot to consider. If you feel he is well enough to be with them, then try it out and see.
If not, then separate him back out. If you have photos of where you had him separated, we may also be able to give you some tips on how to make a temporary pen for him.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of the wound and of your rooster?
I'm glad you were able to see the vet and have him treated.

Is he active, eating/drinking on his own?
Do the hens pick at him?

Have you figured out the reason why he had FlyStrike - was he sick, did he have any injury that got infested....
Do you have other roosters?

How old is he?

The scab coming off and healthy skin underneath is a good thing. It's hard to know if he will be fine with the hens or not - there's a lot to consider. If you feel he is well enough to be with them, then try it out and see.
If not, then separate him back out. If you have photos of where you had him separated, we may also be able to give you some tips on how to make a temporary pen for him.
I can take a pic tommorow when I treat him again.
He is acting absolutely fine, he eats and drinks as usual, his activity level is normal, he’s mating with his hens as usual and he crows at his usual time as well.
I don’t think the hens have even noticed his wound, his fluffy butt covered the sides and his long tail feathers hang down like a curtain so it’s completely hidden. If they do find it I’ll have to find a way to separate him again.
I’m not sure how he got the Flystrike in the first place, I noticed one day he had tons of poop on his butt so my dad and I bathed him and cut off the feathers that were dirty. A couple days later I noticed he had maggots all over under his butt, I ran inside to do research and then bathed him twice and flushed the wound with saline. Two days after that the maggots were still there and he started to get lethargic, that’s when I took him to the vet.
I don’t believe he had a wound to start with until the maggots made one, maybe while he was wet from a bath a fly found him? I’m not sure.
He is the only rooster out of a flock of six hens, two of which are laying.
He’s almost a year old.
Im glad the scab is a good sign, I’ll keep an eye on them and if the hens find the wound I’ll send a pic of the area he’ll be isolated in.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom