Flystrike

I would mix 3 parts Peroxide to 1 part water.
Okay, so I flushed her 3 times yesterday and 2 times today. All with the dilated mixture with 12 ml each time. Here is an updated photo today. I tried to remove the poop off her vent with a glove, it didnt work too well...

That being said, no maggots today. She is eating AND drinking. I saw her drink throughout the day. Most of her swelling from the first day is gone. I applied some vaseline after the cleaning and flushing. First photo is before the cleaning process and vaseline. The seond photo was taken right after the hydrogen peroxide, it was still bubbly. You can see some vaseline on her skin in the third photo. I ended up not dusting her at all. She has no other wounds, but is, like I said, slightly swollen on her belly and back end. Should I be worried about her vent? It looks quite red.

Attachments

• 0426398D-633A-466C-8132-03BF8AAA6D28.jpeg
    0426398D-633A-466C-8132-03BF8AAA6D28.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 35
  • C68F503E-3B5B-4F23-BB53-1D82AE389D07.jpeg
    C68F503E-3B5B-4F23-BB53-1D82AE389D07.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 62C2EFB8-9209-44F9-B392-1A84C178B54D.jpeg
    62C2EFB8-9209-44F9-B392-1A84C178B54D.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I'm glad she's healing up! When I first read about fly strike it made me super paranoid about my fat bottom girls. They get weekly booty washes🤣
Glad I got a laugh outta ya😉 my husband thinks I'm a nut, everytime I grab my brahma or orp and take them to the hose he smiles and shakes his head🤣

Glad I got a laugh outta ya😉 my husband thinks I'm a nut, everytime I grab my brahma or orp and take them to the hose he smiles and shakes his head🤣
A little tip for you. I dont wash their butt if there is no poop. If there is poop stuck on the feathers, its much easier to cut some feathers near the vent off. That way, they dont need to get as wet as often. Flystrike is not super common. It wont happen if your hens are perfectly fine (with no wounds and no poop on the vent or stuck on feathers).

A little tip for you. I dont wash their butt if there is no poop. If there is poop stuck on the feathers, its much easier to cut some feathers near the vent off. That way, they dont need to get as wet as often. Flystrike is not super common. It wont happen if your hens are perfectly fine (with no wounds and no poop on the vent or stuck on feathers).
Because they have such fluffy bottoms there is always some level of poo, lol, but it's just the 2 fat bottom girls the others are good. And honestly with this crazy hot weather I don't think those 2 fatties mind, lol

Back
Top Bottom