Foam in corner of eye

The Cave

Songster
Oct 18, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

My one 4-5week old silkie chick I noticed got a shaving chip stuck to corner of its eye. I applied warm compress and removed gently. I then noticed foam in corner of eye two days after removal, so I cleaned again and applied a bit of no pain relief polysporin 3 times now over 2 weeks.

Still foam in corner though, eye is not swollen, a bit of leakage from what I can tell due to the feathers around eye being a bit clumped. The chick is normal otherwise. No swelling, eating, drinking and hopping around. I did notice after applying the polysporin it itched at the eye a bit so I am trying not to do that very often in case it scratches the eye.

Should I flush with some saline and a syringe in case there is something still stuck in the corner?

Flushing an eye with saline is the first, second, and last thing you should do whenever a chicken suffers an eye injury or you suspect any sort of eye issue. Often, the flushing alone will resolve most issues.

If you suspect an injury has occurred, it's always a good idea the treat with Neosporin or terramycin twice a day. But always flush first each day. Keep up the flushing and ointment in the eye twice daily until it resolves.

If she's scratching at her eye, it means it hurts. I know from experience when I get something in my eye when I work outside, if I haven't flushed it all out completely, it goes on to hurt like the devil was taking a blow torch to it. If she continues to scratch at the eye after you flush it, then it means you need to flush it some more.

Flushing an eye with saline is the first, second, and last thing you should do whenever a chicken suffers an eye injury or you suspect any sort of eye issue. Often, the flushing alone will resolve most issues.

If you suspect an injury has occurred, it's always a good idea the treat with Neosporin or terramycin twice a day. But always flush first each day. Keep up the flushing and ointment in the eye twice daily until it resolves.

If she's scratching at her eye, it means it hurts. I know from experience when I get something in my eye when I work outside, if I haven't flushed it all out completely, it goes on to hurt like the devil was taking a blow torch to it. If she continues to scratch at the eye after you flush it, then it means you need to flush it some more.

I flushed eye and I almost couldn't pick the chick out from the rest of the other black silkies the next day! The eye has no more foam and the silkie isn't fussing with it :D Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom