Foamy discharge gluing drake’s eyes shut

You can also buy antibiotics on line if you find her does have a sinus infection. Hopefully not. What did you end up getting?
I got the Vetericyn. Enough to treat a whole duck nation. :p If anyone else has eye troubles I’ll have it. My new bull has a bit of a runny eye (not pink—just from the nasty flies). I’m not sure I’m brave enough to stick a bunch of gloopy stuff in his poor eye, though. It says “all animals.” Only maybe not him, or not just yet, anyhow...

@casportpony

How is your boy this morning? and hey one nice thing about the Vetericyn spray is I use it on myself to. Ever heard of Dakins? suppose to be very similar.

And since it's a spray you could probably hit the bulls eye[sorry for the pun couldn't help myself] with the spray maybe and not have to touch him?

That might work... only I didn’t get spray. All they had was a gel or a wash so I got the gel. I could maybe dab some on while I’m giving them treats. None of them notice much besides the treats when that’s going on. :lau If I didn’t know better I’d think they were little piggies, not cattle.

I’m not sure whether it’s working. So far little drake still has bleary-eye but the foam seems thinner. I don’t know whether I was imagining the yellow tinge before but I’m pretty sure it was yellowish. At any rate it was white this morning and it’s more clear now. Respiratory sounds are normal, best I can tell. Choanal slit is clean & clear. (Not sure I spelled that right.) He’s just lying around, but then he is in a cage. From his poop he appears to have been eating. It looks normal. He’s apparently drinking. Not making a mess :hmm but I had to give him more water.

Here he was last night:

B7757C85-0C3B-43A6-913B-C422E0BC4B3A.jpeg

D912A75A-8850-4C2E-B6C4-A70EC1322F67.jpeg

And here he is now:

789374AC-1B07-4F48-9C2C-C1AA67FC946D.jpeg

FF485A7B-6C5B-4D68-AF21-127501838888.jpeg

Now that I look at the photos, I guess there does seem to be some improvement! I didn’t wipe his eyes before I took these... I just went out to get pics for this response. Definitely less discharge, and I can see him in there, through the little slits. I treated him this morning around 7:30, so the foam has had time to come back but it doesn’t seem to have done. Maybe it’s a sign.

Last edited:
The antibiotic I would recommend is Baytril (enrofloxacin), which you can buy without a prescription online at most pigeon and gamebird websites. Since you mentioned the possibility of freezer camp you should know that Baytril is one of the drugs that's not supposed to be used in poultry, so you should research that before using it.

Bonus is that it is approved for use in cattle, swine, and dogs and cats.

@casportpony , Little drake, hereafter known as George (Harrison) still has icky eyes, still no other symptoms. I’m going to get the Baytril, I think. He can become a pond ornament, I suppose. I’ll pick one of the others to keep him company and give them a little house for shelter... if we can persuade them to use it. If I want to eat duck I’ll get some Perkins or similar, and Muscovies. I do want to try Muscovies. (This doesn’t bode well for me eating little Scottish Highland calves... )

Anyway, if you’re up for having a look, is this a good choice? https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10 And what would the dosage be? He’s approximately three & a half months old. I really appreciate your help.

Anyway, is this a good choice? And what would the dosage be? He’s approximately three & a half months old.
Baytril is what I would use. As for dose, you need to weigh him, then give 5 mg per pound of bodyweight twice a a day orally. If you buy the 100 mg/ml stuff that's 0.05 ml per pound of bodyweight twice a day.

After reading a little more about Baytril, I’m not sure about giving it to him just yet. It seems to be indicated for respiratory symptoms but the only symptoms I’m seeing are his foamy, sticky eyes... I guess maybe I’ll wait a little longer. It sounds like a pretty serious drug... anyway, thanks Casport. I should have read a bit more and now I have done. I’m thinking I’ll pick up some botanicals first and try that, since he doesn’t seem to be in any distress but for his icky eyes. I’ll let everyone know what I do and whether it works.

Back
Top Bottom