1. Desert Plum

Desert Plum Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    So. Calif desert area
    Good day all [​IMG]

Well my second round of chickens have proven for some reason more difficult to sell and raise. I lost four in the first week along. Anyway, today the now 19 week olds haven't laid but one bird, Red Star named Rhonda has a foamy eye. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I found info here and isolated her even though she is happily (or was :p) peaking around, pulling feathers as usual and eating/drinking with easy. I hear no rattling noise and other than that foamy right eye, she is clear skinned and bright eyed. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The shed (where they were raised) has proven a nice nursery/sick room. When I move I hope to have the same thing on my property. [​IMG] I'll keep you informed how she goes but what a time for a chicken to get sick as I'm going out of town nxt friday to Vegas. She's on Vet RX for now...[​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I hope someone can answer your question. I don't know much about eye/respiratory illnesses

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    You can get Neosporin Opthalmolgic (Ophthamology) (SP?) ointment at the Feed Store.. for the eyes of animals... pull the lid out a little (clean hands) and run a little stream, ribbon of the antibiotic eye ointment onto the inner side of the lid... it will spread when she closes her eye.. I dab it a little to make sure it get "in" with a clean finger, gently. I would use it daily... for a week -- twice a day or three times a day. Be prepared, I paid almost $18.00 for the tiny tube of ointment.

Also, you can get VetRX.. which, if her eyes are really swollen has something about Eye Worms on the instructions... I didn't ever use it for that, but I noticed it on the insert instructions...

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by