Foamy, yellow poo? What do I do?

srugg

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
My barred rock (about 17 weeks- not yet laying) just had a foamy, yellow poop. I didn't get a picture. It doesn't have a strong smell. I am very new to chickens as these are my first, so I'm not sure if I need to be concerned or what to do if this is a problem. It is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to be acting out of sorts. However, I did lose a hen a few days ago for an unknown reason. That particular hen had been attacked by a raccoon a few weeks prior and I felt that it might have been harboring an infection from the attack. It was never completely the same afterwards.

Any ideas on this poop situation for a newbie?

We are feeding crumbles from the feed store. It did get some watermelon rinds a few days ago. It doesn't free range, except for about an hour day when the kids are playing in the backyard and let her out with them. She might sneak a black raspberry of the vine during that time. I don't see a ton of it, but told my kids to let me know if they see it tomorrow morning while they are out there too, so not sure how much it's happening. I just have no idea if this is normal at all or if it could be sick, or related to something that might have caused the other hen to pass this week.

Edited to add: we live in Michigan. It's been hot and humid until today, which was cooler and much less humid.

It was probably a cecal poop, which is normal every so many droppings. They look shiny and may be yellow gold, brown, or dark brown. They may be foamy. If you are concerned about worms or coccidiosis, you can collect some fresh droppings and have a fecal float performed by your local vet. Take a picture if you see another. If her condition changes, let us know. Here is an article with some pictures of droppings that may be helpful:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Thanks for the link. I would say that is looked most like the foamy yellow "abnormal" poop on that page, and not as much like the yellow cecal poop. I will take a better look tomorrow. If it were worms or coccidiosis, what do I do for that? This is all new to me.

I'm agreeing with Eggcessive, cecal poo due to the heat/humidity & probably drinking alot more water. A picture would help.
Bloody poo is the usual sign of Coccidiosis = Corid would be what's used.
Worms can be determined by a fecal float = variety of med with egg withdrawal.

Getting a fecal float can help to rule those out. Coccidiosis is usually treated with Corid (amprollium) added to the water for 5-7 days. Blood can be a sign of coccidiosis, but it also can be absent. Worms can be treated with Wazine (only treats round worms,) and Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are both good for treating most chicken worms. We can give dosage for whichever one you use.

Back
Top Bottom