Fodder for Broilers

I am about to get a small batch, 5 birds, of Cornish x's and will be feeding them primarily on sprouted fodder. I will try my best to keep track of how things go and let you all know in a few months. A Friend is splitting the order with me and will be using dry grower ration, so it's a good chance to compare.

Oh yes, please keep us updated on how they do. My CornishX are coming at the end of March and I want to feed them a combined diet. Something like Fermented feed in the morning, fodder twice during the day and FF again in the evening. May start a new thread on that (?)

If you do start a new thread let us know, have never done fermented feed but would be interested in how it works for you.

Here is an excellent thread on Fermented feed for broilers
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832053/100-broilers-and-fermented-feed-project
What I want to do is combine fodder and Fermented feed, as well as raise mealworms for them

I agree with the fermented feed but I think that sprouted barley, etc would be eaten much quicker than fodder. Try it both ways. May 1/2" to 1 " long. Good luck. Will keep watching your results. Keep us posted.
thumbsup.gif

I agree with the fermented feed but I think that sprouted barley, etc would be eaten much quicker than fodder. Try it both ways. May 1/2" to 1 " long. Good luck. Will keep watching your results. Keep us posted.
thumbsup.gif
Will definitely try it both ways. Phew, a lot of projects I want to start! Broilers on different kinds of feed, breeding Light Sussex and caponizing the males for future meat birds (Might even do an experiment crossing Light Sussex with CornishX). I see a busy year coming! Bring it on!

Last edited:
Might want to try the slower Cornish or Red Broilers. The Red Broilers are quite active and forage very well. I usually butcher them at about 12-16 weeks, depending on sex. I have some now, 6 weeks old, that are running around all over the place digging up bugs, worms and seeds. I'm also trying fermented feed and fermented grains, which they love.
Ducks are another meat bird and they seem to do an even better job of finding their own food. I have 7 mallards and they eat hardly anything. They are great for eating snails and slugs, too. I've never raised meat ducks but I've heard they're more efficient than meat chickens.

Meant to mention, this batch of red broilers is bigger than any other batch that I've raised. At 4 weeks they were two pounds. I suspect they're about 3-4 pounds now at 6 weeks. Now, remember they do take longer than Cornish x. They also have more dark meat and larger thighs. They still have a nice, white,meaty breast.
I find them quite tender and tasty. I could not stand raising Cornish x.
I've found the fermented feed has really helped the broiler and duck poo, too.

Tracydr - thanks for the update. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1) How many meat birds you are raising?
2) What kind of fodder are you growing? Straight barley, mix of grains, etc?
3) What's the ratio of fodder to fermented feed you're giving them?
4) Are you supplementing with anything else?

Thanks so much!

Edited to add: I started a new thread on fodder for meat birds but I'll just post my original post here:
Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom