fodder, meal worms, and diet questions

Oh and I should mention that turkey eggs are fantastic, even if they are a pain to crack. The most beautiful sight I've had since getting into this adventure was seeing four BR toms take flight to intercept a red tail hawk. Those six foot wingspans are just amazing.

About turkeys; I see myself getting three or six in spring, and being unable to eat them in fall. Then, more overlarge pasture pets! How do you all do it?
Mary

In some cases it's not easy. We have a crazy rule around here... The one closest to the birds being processed has to do the deed. The reason behind that rule is we all make sure they get the best death possible. If you do it right, the bird goes into a cone, you extend the neck and message until the bird falls asleep. And then with one deliberate cut, the bird never wakes up. Those closest to the birds are more concerned about a peaceful death.

I'm trying, but my Tom didn't successfully achieve his mission this year. I'm going to try and bring in some new poults come spring. Talking about driving for feed, to get a proper turkey/duck starter I either have to have it shipped or drive four hours round trip. If I can afford it this spring, I'll get a mixed ton that's my preferred recipe shipped from VA.

Honey, I am trying to achieve a mission here tonight.

Honey, I am trying to achieve a mission here tonight.
:yuckyuck Turkeys are not like chickens. The toms strut and dance and wait for an invitation. Apparently the Tom I chose didn't make the grade with my hens. Although the wild girls seem to be thrilled with my Toms, so I'm apparently introducing all kinds of new genetics into the wild population.:gig

Two years ago I learned my lesson the hard way. You can't have two toms within eye sight of each other during mating season. They tore down the fence and even when I replaced it with 3/4" plywood, they tore that down too. So, I put one tom in the breeding pen with his girls and give him a week or two to get the job done.

Yes. After paying $10 a pound for mealworms (actually, darkling beetle larvae) grown in China, I found naturespeck.com and bought 11 pounds of black soldier fly larvae for $49, which bought down the price per pound quite a bit. However if you go to Living Web Farms on youtube and watch their tutorial (might be 11 parts?) on raising the BSF, you will be well prepared to accomplish your goal, the instructor is amazing and you will learn how to capture females (in the southeast) and learn the ratios for chicken feed. Plus, you might want to check out Justin Rhodes, also on youtube - what a source.

I have been a bit heavy on treats for our girls. Upon reading many articles I have come to the conclusion that I am "over treating" the girls mainly because I want to interact with them and entertain them. I am cutting back greatly on treats hoping that they eat more of their regular feed.

As far as mealworms go I have a worm growing operation ongoing but have to supplement this with purchased worms. I buy from http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ and have found them to have the best worms and pricing so far.

If OP isn't seeking certification... it might be something that can be acceptable to said consumers.

There has been a trend here for long time 'certified organic' local vegis/meat farms that have dropped their 'certified' part because of the cost and hassle of dealing with govt bureaucracy. Must be doing OK with it, still busy. Same organic products just doesn't have the govt paid for stamp, guess the consumers still have trust locally.

X2 on the fattening birds for winter, I feed no treats, process my own, many in winter and it gets subzero here, most birds still probably are too fat lol.

hello byc,
i was chatting in some other threads here and the subject of growing fodder and meal worms came up. after a little research i found out its pretty easy to do both of these and i have almost everything i need on hand for start up, minus seeds and live meal worms.

I'm currently drawing up plans for set ups in this venture, but i need some info from fellow chicken raisers hopefully from those who already do this.

first off i have 12 birds all large fowl, and my end goal is to reduce or get away from pre mixed feed. as well has have 100% organic non gmo feeds for my chickens. ( i sell eggs and would like to be able to tell customers they are getting the best they can get) as we all know the good feed is usually old in stores and doesn't last long and is much more expensive.

first question is on the total diet. if i fed them meal worms and fodder every day what else would they need to make up a complete diet?

second is how much fodder and meal worms would i need per day per chicken so i can do the math and figure out the size my operation needs to be.

3, what are the best seeds to fodder, should i vary the fodder or keep with just 1 seed type.

4, are live meal worms better to feed chickens or the dry ones?

5, best locations for ordering meal worms, worm feed, and seeds for fodder ( everything needs to be non-go and organic)

6, any advice to save me some pains later? experience is the best teacher and i always look for peoples experience to learn from.

my " for now set up plans"

meal worm- big old fish tank ( has crack which ill repair with resin so a good recycle free option)and a reptile heat pad. plan on cutting a screen and making a lid that way.

plan on using the mason jar technique, i have plenty of big mason jars laying around, was gonna build a rack out of wood that the jars would sit at a 45 degree angle in. cheese cloth with rubber band over opening, and a plastic bin under the set up for water to drain in.

thoughts?
I haven't tried any of the above yet. Another option maybe for you is growing fodder beets. I've been growing mammoth red mangel fodder beets the last two yrs for the birds, save on feed and give them something good to eat in the winter.
Start feeding the greens just before it freezes for good (they don't hold up to super hard frost) Then store the roots in my cellar and toss a few in every day. They love them, chomp them right down until they are gone, gives them something to do also. Supposedly have the same nutritional value as grain.
Bought my first packet from Jungs seeds, this last time from Baker Creek, if you wanted to grow a huge amount RH Shumway is about the cheapest.
Grow kale for us and the birds also, good winter vitamins/greens. Stuff is super hardy grows or at least looks like it is growing all winter. Survives zero and less degrees and being buried by snow, get a warm melt off week and it pops right back up.

Back
Top Bottom