fodder, meal worms, and diet questions

the reason why DM is quoted for ruminants only is that to them cellulose and starch provide similar amounts of calories. I have read many papers on the matter, and I have never seen DM discussed for mono-gastric animals.

I'm not going to address the fodder or meal worm question, as I haven't done it yet. But I will agree with the others about using a balanced feed ration. Given your stated goals, I would suggest finding a Fertrell dealer near you and seek out the mills that use the Fertrell Nutri-balancer and other products. It looks like there are about 13 Fertrell dealers in the UP. Certified Organic is not a necessity unless you wish to obtain that certification. Fresh, high quality, non-GMO ingredients will give you the best feed. Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that it's more expensive. $12-$15 for 50 pounds isn't unheard of if you're willing to drive to get it.

I'm not going to address the fodder or meal worm question, as I haven't done it yet. But I will agree with the others about using a balanced feed ration. Given your stated goals, I would suggest finding a Fertrell dealer near you and seek out the mills that use the Fertrell Nutri-balancer and other products. It looks like there are about 13 Fertrell dealers in the UP. Certified Organic is not a necessity unless you wish to obtain that certification. Fresh, high quality, non-GMO ingredients will give you the best feed. Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that it's more expensive. $12-$15 for 50 pounds isn't unheard of if you're willing to drive to get it.

thank you kindly in my internet search for feretell i found some #'s to call. more then just feed. looks promising one permaculture farm about an hour or so away has non gmo seeds as well as selling feed and ect.
im in the up everything is a drive XD. only non gmo organic feed i find at the places I've visited or called thus far has been 24$ and up. i have plenty of land, space and time to invest. the less money i spend on feed and such the better. fodder is a great option because of long winters, and meal worms i can easily do with the added benefit of being able to sell excess as well.
making things pay for one another in one shape or fashion is a goal of mine.

thank you kindly in my internet search for feretell i found some #'s to call. more then just feed. looks promising one permaculture farm about an hour or so away has non gmo seeds as well as selling feed and ect.
im in the up everything is a drive XD. only non gmo organic feed i find at the places I've visited or called thus far has been 24$ and up. i have plenty of land, space and time to invest. the less money i spend on feed and such the better. fodder is a great option because of long winters, and meal worms i can easily do with the added benefit of being able to sell excess as well.
making things pay for one another in one shape or fashion is a goal of mine.

And another note, once you're a fertrell customer, their nutritionist support is free.

@rjohns39 do you breed bourbon red turkey's?
I'm trying, but my Tom didn't successfully achieve his mission this year. I'm going to try and bring in some new poults come spring. Talking about driving for feed, to get a proper turkey/duck starter I either have to have it shipped or drive four hours round trip. If I can afford it this spring, I'll get a mixed ton that's my preferred recipe shipped from VA.

when we add turkeys thats the breed my wife had in mind. would love any personal experience information on them.
They are awesome eye candy and they will help protect your flock from aerial predators. They are (all turkeys are) like big feathered dogs, if you socialize with them. IMHO they are the second best tasting turkey on the planet. The best is a red bronze which comes from a bourbon Tom and a nari hen.

The downside to both is the pin feathers and ink sacks. And to raise them for meat, it takes 24 weeks to get a good sized bird, which means you have to let it rest for up to three days before freezing and cook it low and slow. I do have a 50lb BR in the freezer that I want to try Julia Child's recipe for a deconstructed turkey. He was three when he went to freezer camp.

I love setting in the pasture and having a turkey on my lap. And they just trill away as you pet them. You might want to checkout a Century of turkey talk and reach out to @memphis and learn about her suburban turkeys. They are the talk of the town and one is a bourbon red.

Back
Top Bottom