Fodder Question 1: Is that Ergot in my rye-seed?

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
After successfully growing Wheat-Fodder, i tried Oats (Not very impressive by now) and then i wanted to try Rye. While scooping the Rye-seeds into my soaking glass i noticed some really black kernels:

Looked it up in the WikiPedia and to me it looks a lot like Ergot:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism
Did my best to remove those black kernels, but what if i missed a couple?
Don't want the Duckies to experience a Bicycle-Day… (Not that they have bicycles yet…)
Does Ergot have an effect on birds?

After successfully growing Wheat-Fodder, i tried Oats (Not very impressive by now) and then i wanted to try Rye.

I did not have great results with oats as fodder, either. I might try wheat seeds someday, but I am having great results with barley seeds and will finish that 50# bag before I consider any other options.

Do you have a local source for seeds such as a local feed mill that specializes bagging feed for animal consumption? The people at my local feed mill are very friendly, and knowledgeable about their products. They would not sell me anything for my animals that would hurt them.

I don't know what those black grains are. I have never seen anything like that in my barley or oat bags. I would think it proper to ask about those black seeds and I hope someone can tell you exactly what it is.

Spoke with the seed-store and they assured me that those black grains are not ergot. - I don't trust them anymore and am looking for another source. So far i have removed those suspicious kernels and tossed them. The ducks are not very impressed of Rye sprouts anyways, so i will use what Rye i have and stick with Wheat for now. That was most popular so far.

Spoke with the seed-store and they assured me that those black grains are not ergot. - I don't trust them anymore and am looking for another source.

That's too bad. I am lucky in that my local mill is a family owned business and they live and die by their reputation. So far, they have been helpful to me and given me excellent advise on what feeds would be good for my animals. But yeah, if you don't trust someone, it's probably best to move on elsewhere. Good luck.

according to Wikipedia - the Ergot tainted seads will float while the healthy seeds will sink. when you do your pre-soak, pull the floating seeds out and that should get most of it.
Wikipedia is not fully correct: Some of the not so dark seeds do not float. :( But it is not that much of a problem to pick the dark kernels out, even before washing and soaking. I'm not dealing with metric-tons of grain here, just a couple of 100 grams.

That's too bad. I am lucky in that my local mill is a family owned business and they live and die by their reputation. So far, they have been helpful to me and given me excellent advise on what feeds would be good for my animals. But yeah, if you don't trust someone, it's probably best to move on elsewhere. Good luck.
The neighbor told me about a »survival store« here in the area, selling all kinds of grain. But i assume the price will be challenging to survive…
I'd like to try millet, those thin delicate sprouts will be a feast for the Duckies!

Back
Top Bottom