Foggy/clouded chicken eye

averkademay

Songster
9 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hello all!

I have a year old (I think. He had adults feathers when I got him half a year ago) male Dominque bantam. One of his eyes is cloudy. It is not more or less cloudy in certain spots. I the whole eye is a lighter color. A small amount of pink (or white) fuzz can be seen in the fogginess. It seems to get washed around as he blinks his nictitating eyelid. Now it does not appear to be a cataract. The eye is just completely covered in a gentle fog or "blurriness." The other eye is completely fine and clear.
I have another rooster in the same flock that could be sparing occasionally. He knows he is the lower ranking roo and backs down. Could this be injury caused? If so, what should I use to treat it?
I would think he is too old for mareks disease...
Maybe eyeworm? There are no bubbles. The membrane at the corner of his eye does show swollen and irritated veins.
I will try and get a photo soon. Any advice would be most appreciated.

It's called "pink eye" and is an eye infection caused by bacteria. It's absolutely critical to get it treated ASAP or the eye could go blind. It's quite painful, by the way.

Ask at your feed store or vet's for terramycin eye ointment. If you cannot find it or a vet can't help, buy a tube of Neosporin and use it in the eye. Do not make the mistake of using other antibiotic ointments such as triple antibiotic ointments as they have ingredients that can be toxic to the eye.

It's called "pink eye" and is an eye infection caused by bacteria. It's absolutely critical to get it treated ASAP or the eye could go blind. It's quite painful, by the way.

Ask at your feed store or vet's for terramycin eye ointment. If you cannot find it or a vet can't help, buy a tube of Neosporin and use it in the eye. Do not make the mistake of using other antibiotic ointments such as triple antibiotic ointments as they have ingredients that can be toxic to the eye.

Im confused. Isin't neosporin triple antibiotic ointment?

Neomycin is an ingredient in Neosporin as well as in the triple antibiotic ointments. You only want the neomycin, not the other ingredients. That is why I suggested you buy the Neosporin.

Neomycin is an ingredient in Neosporin as well as in the triple antibiotic ointments. You only want the neomycin, not the other ingredients. That is why I suggested you buy the Neosporin.

Thanks! I'm not the OP, I was just curious. Learn something new everyday!

Azygous. Thank you so much for your reply! This indeed explains everything thank you so much! I don't have any Neomycin or terramycin but I will go get some today. He has had it for about three days. No change that I can see so I hope it hasn't gotten worse.

Can you post a picture of the eye so we may see what you are seeing? Neosporin and Triple Antibiotic Ointments are the same. Both contain neomycin, polymixin B, and bacitracin zinc as ingredients. I have never seen neomycin ointment for sale. But it may be, as I just have not seen it. Neomycin sometimes causes allergies in some humans or animals, and if that is the case polysporin has no neomycin.

I did find where there is a topical neomycin ointment, but have no idea where you would find it. Most feed stores sell Terramycin, Vetropolycin (neosporin just for the eye,) and you can also find Vetricyn, which is is antiseptic/non-antibiotic. Below is the common grey eye found in Mareks. Other eye disorders may be a sign of avian encephalomyelitis, vitamin A or E deficiency, infections, or injuries.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-10_15-50-46.png
    upload_2018-10-10_15-50-46.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 9
Good news! I used the cream and his eye seems to be getting more clear again. I don't think he has mareks because he is an older bird way past 40 weeks. I am having such a hard time getting a photo as he closes his eye and my phone takes fuzzy photos. I will get someone to help me take a photo later today and use a high zoom lens to get a clean photo to post. Also, I want to note that his pupil looks fine. It is proportional to the other eye and not warped in any way. Even his cornea is the same color just fogged up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom