FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

All threads concerning hawks and their control mention the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the maximum penalties imposed. The thing to remember is different areas of North America apply the act differently based on the perceived importance of the predator/chicken within a certain community. Some Authorities may never issue kill permits, some may readily issue them, and some (as in my case) only require notification of a kill on my property. It's important to obtain a LOCAL interpretation of need. If the hawks are not rare, if the adults don't actually seem to migrate, and if you raise chickens for income, you are more likely to be let off lightly for blowing one away. That said, it's best to first obtain a ruling based on your individual circumstances. I recently lost a chicken to a pair of resident red tail hawks, but the flock (especially a rooster) learned from the experience. The hens quickly hide, the roosters strut their stuff, and the circling hawks now move on without conflict. The fact is the hawks are important for rodent control and I'm glad to have them around, even if I lose an occasional chicken.

when I first watched the video, I had to laugh to myself I actually thought you were hiding in there waiting for the hawk...lol..perhaps choking him td..there's a thought..huh? I lost my first rooster to a hawk and I've been seen chasing many since with a broom in my pj's..lol..it's amazing how gutsy and persistent they can be..guess they gotta eat too, but I'd rather they cull the sparrows (sorry sparrows) at least the smaller ones its over quicker..:(

when I first watched the video, I had to laugh to myself I actually thought you were hiding in there waiting for the hawk...lol..perhaps choking him td..there's a thought..huh? I lost my first rooster to a hawk and I've been seen chasing many since with a broom in my pj's..lol..it's amazing how gutsy and persistent they can be..guess they gotta eat too, but I'd rather they cull the sparrows (sorry sparrows) at least the smaller ones its over quicker..
sad.png
LOL thats a vid from youtube I found, I didnt know what to expect either! I was like... is that the hawk or the chicken making them noises and then I was like "awwwwww poor thing"
sad.png

Im for some kind of fencing or at least netting on the top. I even wire on the ground under the coop.
Or just live with feeding critters.
I do both.Good layers and my project birds stay safe. And some more expendable birds wander the property so they help keep the bugs in check.

Im for some kind of fencing or at least netting on the top. I even wire on the ground under the coop.
Or just live with feeding critters.
I do both.Good layers and my project birds stay safe. And some more expendable birds wander the property so they help keep the bugs in check.
thumbsup.gif

Just as I'm reading this thread ...I have to dash, light in hand, as part of my flock is screaming and the roo is sounding the alarm. I only saw something furry , racoon?, scurrying away.
He avoided my dead eye shot with my son's paintball gun. After losing almost the entire flock to predators some years ago and then losing another flock to a hurricane, (S.E. Texas coastal home) and just recently losing some to a fallen tree! I'm more than a little over protective. The paint balls hurt but doesn't kill and usually I miss the birds of prey as they are faster than I.

DHubby is helping build larger chicken tractors so the 'kids' can have the best of both worlds at little risk.

Just as I'm reading this thread ...I have to dash, light in hand, as part of my flock is screaming and the roo is sounding the alarm. I only saw something furry , racoon?, scurrying away.
He avoided my dead eye shot with my son's paintball gun. After losing almost the entire flock to predators some years ago and then losing another flock to a hurricane, (S.E. Texas coastal home) and just recently losing some to a fallen tree! I'm more than a little over protective. The paint balls hurt but doesn't kill and usually I miss the birds of prey as they are faster than I.

DHubby is helping build larger chicken tractors so the 'kids' can have the best of both worlds at little risk.
Good idea with the paint gun...been trying to think of something that would be non-lethal

I also have an electric fence.But the snow kinda did it in. Iv read many horror storys ,and saw videos on youtube.

Back
Top Bottom