FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

Raccoons are my #1 ground predator fear.
Right there with you! We have a cold, fresh water, brisk, stream (Pensacola Branch), white sand, about 10 feet below our property line, that we call our own "beach". (About 1 to 2 feet deep) We thinks it's great!
However, you can't help notice the coon and deer tracks one week to another. DH bought me a game cam for Christmas, so we could monitor the coon intruders around the coop.
pop.gif
Guess, you know where that's going to lead!
hu.gif

Just watched that video of a hawk getting into the coop and getting a chicken.
hit.gif
We have a coopers hawk that was hanging out in the neighbors tree. I can't believe how fast they are. It has swooped over my head a couple of times. Haven't seen it since the cold part of winter. I look up in that tree every time I let my girls out.
One day, we heard my head hen just yelling out at something. My DH and I both went to see what was up. She was yelling right in front of the end coop run .. as we call it, and then we saw it. It was too small for a coppers, but it was NOT a sparrow! I went into the closed off run. How in the world did this bird get in there? It looked like a falcon. We have a lot of those around here too. It got out while I was in there. My DH said .. right here..and he shows me a very small hole in the top corner of the run. It got closed better. :/ Crazy! We actually don't think it could take on a chicken, but, mice we had! Really bad. We think it was after one. I got some really great mouse traps..live enclosed metal traps. Caught oodles this winter! No more falcon..but of course, it having me in there chasing it down probably took care of that one.
Hey, I accidentally hit the submit before I posted.

Hope this works. Cynthia, last weekend my DH and I had to confront a ("neighbor who HAS chickens, not raising them,") about her lack of feeding, watering, and letting them loose to run amuck in the neighbors vegetables gardens on either side of her property.

She believes in buying the cute little chickys and the strong survive. I told her they become coon, hawk and snake and rat bait! (4 years of this), they come to our land to be fed, get water, etc. but., she provides no maintenance, worming, shelter for them.
( Very Laize' Faire'), not sure of the spelling.

When my DH and I (last weekend) asked her to quit getting birds she couldn't or wouldn't afford to take care of, she said. , . , "Only the STUPID birds get attacked by hawks and coons!"

I tell you what, she made that statement to the WRONG chicken momma, our birds are not STUPID. . . .!

No matter how many times we have had to go on our land (and her land) to feed/water, re-cage (if you want to call her shelter "cages") and our land to pick up and dispose of her dead chicken carcass/eggs.

She doesn't live there full time, rents on occasion, place is just trashed, thank God for pivacy fences!

Then of course our dog wants to roll in it and bring it home. Can you say Botulism. Geez, the vet bills, but Lady Laura is OK so far.
thumbsup.gif

I wish I could sit her lazy butt down long enough to watch that video. I told her I was getting tired of hearing her birds in their death call in the middle of the night and morning! She says, oh well, there just chickens!!! (Oh, and I complain too much!)
somad.gif

3 to 4 times in the 4 years we've been here, usually starts again around Easter with all the new chicks at feed stores, etc.! . (All of us neighbors have 4 acres (farmettes), not like a 50 acre farm where her attitude might be more reasonable).
duc.gif

I spoke to our vet about it and he says they see and hear so much about chickens and rabbits just left to the wild at this time of year.

Don't you think those kind of people would eventually grow up and be responsible?
rant.gif

Last edited:
We have been watching some chipmunks and the babys running around. The bees and weeds are happening now.I put my electric fence setup back up.The snow wasnt kind to the wires.
The crows when they call out,really get my chickens attention.

Hey, I accidentally hit the submit before I posted.

Hope this works. Cynthia, last weekend my DH and I had to confront a ("neighbor who HAS chickens, not raising them,") about her lack of feeding, watering, and letting them loose to run amuck in the neighbors vegetables gardens on either side of her property.

She believes in buying the cute little chickys and the strong survive. I told her they become coon, hawk and snake and rat bait! (4 years of this), they come to our land to be fed, get water, etc. but., she provides no maintenance, worming, shelter for them.
( Very Laize' Faire'), not sure of the spelling.

When my DH and I (last weekend) asked her to quit getting birds she couldn't or wouldn't afford to take care of, she said. , . , "Only the STUPID birds get attacked by hawks and coons!"

I tell you what, she made that statement to the WRONG chicken momma, our birds are not STUPID. . . .!

No matter how many times we have had to go on our land (and her land) to feed/water, re-cage (if you want to call her shelter "cages") and our land to pick up and dispose of her dead chicken carcass/eggs.

She doesn't live there full time, rents on occasion, place is just trashed, thank God for pivacy fences!

Then of course our dog wants to roll in it and bring it home. Can you say Botulism. Geez, the vet bills, but Lady Laura is OK so far.
thumbsup.gif

I wish I could sit her lazy butt down long enough to watch that video. I told her I was getting tired of hearing her birds in their death call in the middle of the night and morning! She says, oh well, there just chickens!!! (Oh, and I complain too much!)
somad.gif

3 to 4 times in the 4 years we've been here, usually starts again around Easter with all the new chicks at feed stores, etc.! . (All of us neighbors have 4 acres (farmettes), not like a 50 acre farm where her attitude might be more reasonable).
duc.gif

I spoke to our vet about it and he says they see and hear so much about chickens and rabbits just left to the wild at this time of year.

Don't you think those kind of people would eventually grow up and be responsible?
rant.gif

Do I think that those kind of people grow up? I'm thinking these people just don't care. There are plenty out there that think, "well, they're just chickens". :( Pretty sad to say the least. If there is a lot of dead birds, isn't there someone you can call? Some type of animal control over your way? Boy, I'm one of those people that would actually call a t.v. station and ask them if they would like some news that would touch the community. Wonder how they would like they're "just chickens" shown sprewn all over, not only their property, but all over the news. I know, not like the news folks could come right on over. I'm sorry you have to hear that sad sound. Actually, not providing water for the animals, is considered cruelty if they can't get it on their own. Chickens can feed on weeds/grass/bugs, but they need water..big time as you know. There has to be someone that can help them, besides you letting them come over for a drink..poor babies. :(

Do I think that those kind of people grow up? I'm thinking these people just don't care. There are plenty out there that think, "well, they're just chickens". :( Pretty sad to say the least. If there is a lot of dead birds, isn't there someone you can call? Some type of animal control over your way? Boy, I'm one of those people that would actually call a t.v. station and ask them if they would like some news that would touch the community. Wonder how they would like they're "just chickens" shown sprewn all over, not only their property, but all over the news. I know, not like the news folks could come right on over. I'm sorry you have to hear that sad sound. Actually, not providing water for the animals, is considered cruelty if they can't get it on their own. Chickens can feed on weeds/grass/bugs, but they need water..big time as you know. There has to be someone that can help them, besides you letting them come over for a drink..poor babies. :(
Hey Cynthia,
A little late responding. DH and I worked feverishly to finish building on and secure our nursery pen post EE hatch along, (12 peeps, yeah!!
celebrate.gif
)
And then within 1 week 2 of our broody's hatch a total of 12 between them this past weekend.
wee.gif
YIKES! Oh well, the more the merrier, if you can take care of them of course!!

Sunday pm while trying to get in the back door, no light on and hands full of course, I fell across the threshold, slamming my shin into the concrete. Next day, MD office, x-ray, but thankfully not broken, just whacked the heck out of my tib/fib bones. Crutches and ice packs for a few days and I'm good to go!

In response to your post, thank you! My neighbor has had her lazy bottom out there every day feeding, watering her birds. My husband was not kidding about turning her in to the SPCA. With us having new chicks, she is no longer allowed to count on my kindness to catch/rescue feed/water her birds, keep them quarantine from ours and care for them up to 3 weeks or more, (until she decides to show up and come get the birds) since WE need our nursery!!! NO MORE, NO WAY!!

We'll see how it goes, but no more enabling this woman! (She's a self professed horder, dogs, cats, junk out the ying yang. Oh well, first things first, the chickens!) Thanks for you advise and support in our actions!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have yet to see one in the mnts here... I hope we don't!
Hey! Goodness, I hope you (or anyone) don't either! They are mean little critters!

Last spring, DH and I spent a week at Cheeha State Park, just north of Montgomery, AL.

While on one of our hiking trips to Bald Rock, we learned about "kettles".
It's explains how hawks, buzzards, eagles, (birds of prey) will ride the updrafts and flows of the wind current throughout the mountains. They do this in groups of their species, at the same time.
We really didn't get to experience the kettle much that trip.

Later that fall, we stayed at a friend's cabin in Helen, Ga. That's when we actally saw the "kettle".
While at our cabin, I thought it was "neat" how they all swirled above us, seemingly close enough to touch! They would fly around at different levels, by species, to fly the wind like a kite. I remember thinking back then, man, it would be real tough to raise chickens in the mountains with all that going on! hahaha
hu.gif

If you've ever been deep sea fishing near a rig, it's kinda the same thing. You'll actually see various species of fish swimming in rings at different levels, depending on that particular fish's feeding zone.

What makes the little blasted chicken hawk such a menace, is that it's about the size of a large blue jay or crow, maybe a little bigger.
barnie.gif
So they hang out close range (in the trees of your yard) vs open fields and streams. Their beak and claws are so strong compared to their weight, they just rip and shred, like a coon, going for the throat and gut. Then it's a slow bleed, miserable death.

The good thing, is that you can get to them if you are in close enough range and "throw" something or yell and they will move on hopefully before to much damage is done to the chicken... Unlike a hawk, they just pick it up and fly away.

Thankfully, our birds, DH and I and even the dog knows their call. It's like we all start moving at once, un-coached to herd the chickens inside if they happen to be outside their coops.
Around here, I change up the time I let them range. It seems I've got about 2 hours post hawk activity before they make their route back to our property.

Geez, the things we do for the love of our chickens!
love.gif
Apologize for the lengthy note, thanks for your post!

Last edited:
It's pretty inspirational though. Like a call to arms or something and they arent taking any s* from a bird of prey even though the hawk could kill them. It's like a swarm of annoying paparazzi. I've never seen a hawk take one out but have read that sometimes they do. There are sooo many hawks around here. They fly circles in duos and trios overhead screeching and they are perched on light posts all along the highway. Some of my chickens call the alarm when small planes fly over but I'd rather they be hyper vigilant not complacent.
Me too!
thumbsup.gif

Just watched that video of a hawk getting into the coop and getting a chicken.
hit.gif
We have a coopers hawk that was hanging out in the neighbors tree. I can't believe how fast they are. It has swooped over my head a couple of times. Haven't seen it since the cold part of winter. I look up in that tree every time I let my girls out.
One day, we heard my head hen just yelling out at something. My DH and I both went to see what was up. She was yelling right in front of the end coop run .. as we call it, and then we saw it. It was too small for a coppers, but it was NOT a sparrow! I went into the closed off run. How in the world did this bird get in there? It looked like a falcon. We have a lot of those around here too. It got out while I was in there. My DH said .. right here..and he shows me a very small hole in the top corner of the run. It got closed better. :/ Crazy! We actually don't think it could take on a chicken, but, mice we had! Really bad. We think it was after one. I got some really great mouse traps..live enclosed metal traps. Caught oodles this winter! No more falcon..but of course, it having me in there chasing it down probably took care of that one.
hehee! Where did you find your mouse traps?

Back
Top Bottom