Folded under toe: Genetic or Incubation Problem?

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
I have a quick question for you all! I have a Silkie that on his left foot, the outermost toe is curled under the other two, so that he walks on top of it. It doesn't effect him at all, but I just need to know if the problem is in his genes or did it happen in incubation or something?

I am selling him, so this is to determine if he would be breeding quality or pet quality.
Thanks!

That's a hard one.

Did you hatch him? Did you have any other incidents with curling toes with other chicks in that hatch or that line?

Curling toes can be from incubation temps or low vitamin B (in either mother, egg, chick), or genetics.

So saying yes or no depends on back history.

If you don't know, then assume it could be genetics and present for pet quality only.

Generally you should only breed from top stock anyway. I had Isbars that had curling toes, absolutely every one of them. They all were failure to thrive later too. I had a dedicated, experienced broody hen, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't incubation conditions but genetics.

So I personally wouldn't breed from him.

My thoughts.

LofMc

It sounds more like a feather leg problem. Sometimes if a bird has feathered legs it will hatch with an undeveloped outer toe. I believe it is genetic...

Back
Top Bottom