Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
So, your grandparents place...is that a common area for lots of people living in apartments or is that all theirs?
Great question. This is my grandparents neighbor. It is a common area for lots of people. My grandparents place is similar.

However, this picture you saw was for one family 100 years ago.
20230618_164420.jpg

June 19th.
I went to see my grandparents. It is a giant cemetery.
20230619_084937.jpg
20230619_085123.jpg

More construction is underway
20230619_084541.jpg

A duck and geese house with pond, in the middle of the cemetery.
20230619_084805.jpg

In the afternoon I decided to do some work (I only need my laptop) in Starbucks...
20230619_131741.jpg

It was way too crowded though... cheapest coffee is $4. I think slightly (or quite a bit ?) more expensive than US price. There are many Starbucks in town now.

Then grocery store
20230619_153837.jpg

Turtles
20230619_153832.jpg

Enoki mushroom on super sale. 5% of the US price.
20230619_154014.jpg

Interesting thought. Not that I know of. But maybe there is! I have learned in recent years that I was not taught enough local/traditional social custom.
You take it steady! Too much immersion in local culture may make you not want to return to the USA.:p

I can't help but notice the majority of the pictures you've posted represent the more Western/tourist/affluent side of China.

You take it steady! Too much immersion in local culture may make you not want to return to the USA.:p

I can't help but notice the majority of the pictures you've posted represent the more Western/tourist/affluent side of China.
I had to look up affluent. What a useful word! 😄

This is a great observation. I keep wanting to make a disclaimer but keep thinking later is a better time.

Now is a good time with your comment.

China is big and diverse. What I have been to, and will go to, are all on the east side of China, which has the majority of population. It is also the affluent and more developed (western) part of China.

It is not necessary the touristy part of China though. All provinces of China have its touristy spot, especially the geographically west side. It is beautiful. I've yet to see most of it.

I recently talked to two Chinese who grew up in rural parts of Henan province. It is a poor province (also kinda on the east, but more inland). From Beijing Airport ( the closest international Airport, they are also living in the US now), they will have to take a slow train, three more busses to get back home. They also have worse healthcare there. Everything is harder for them in a way.

I already knew about regional differences, such as if you are born in Beijing, you get to go to the best university in China 10 times easier than a person born in Zhejiang. It still took me a long time to learn that I was born very privileged as well.

The take away is that I'm presenting here a very small portion of China. The regional difference is huge. You are also viewing it through my lens.

I had to look up affluent. What a useful word! 😄

This is a great observation. I keep wanting to make a disclaimer but keep thinking later is a better time.

Now is a good time with your comment.

China is big and diverse. What I have been to, and will go to, are all on the east side of China, which has the majority of population. It is also the affluent and more developed (western) part of China.

It is not necessary the touristy part of China though. All provinces of China have its touristy spot, especially the geographically west side. It is beautiful. I've yet to see most of it.

I recently talked to two Chinese who grew up in rural parts of Henan province. It is a poor province (also kinda on the east, but more inland). From Beijing Airport ( the closest international Airport, they are also living in the US now), they will have to take a slow train, three more busses to get back home. They also have worse healthcare there. Everything is harder for them in a way.

I already knew about regional differences, such as if you are born in Beijing, you get to go to the best university in China 10 times easier than a person born in Zhejiang. It still took me a long time to learn that I was born very privileged as well.

The take away is that I'm presenting here a very small portion of China. The regional difference is huge. You are also viewing it through my lens.
I once visited Xinjiang which is very far to the West.
It is a beautiful but very troubled area (I was in the part bordering Pakistan and other ‘stans’), and I was there many moons ago. I would love to see how it has developed since.

I once visited Xinjiang which is very far to the West.
It is a beautiful but very troubled area (I was in the part bordering Pakistan and other ‘stans’), and I was there many moons ago. I would love to see how it has developed since.
I've never been there and I'd love too. You are indeed correct that it's beautiful and troubled. To my best knowledge it seems to be true that lots of Muslims are mistreated there. ☹️

June 20th. We just started our rainy season.

This is a very nice public park in my opinion. I used to spend lots of time here with friends.
20230620_132334.jpg
20230620_132341.jpg
20230620_132604.jpg
20230620_132835.jpg
20230620_132856.jpg
20230620_133015.jpg

I'm here for a coffee shop. It's in the middle of the park.
20230620_132939.jpg
20230620_133029.jpg
i think im going to be a frequent customer in the next month. Nice and quiet.
20230620_135842.jpg

I took a picture of this street cleaner. Somebody mentioned clean streets? @TwoCrows ? They definitely contribute to it.
20230620_160629.jpg

Random picture for a laugh? (I don't think it's working)
20230620_161004.jpg

June 20th. We just started our rainy season.

This is a very nice public park in my opinion. I used to spend lots of time here with friends.
View attachment 3549178View attachment 3549177View attachment 3549176View attachment 3549175View attachment 3549174View attachment 3549172

I'm here for a coffee shop. It's in the middle of the park.
View attachment 3549173View attachment 3549171i think im going to be a frequent customer in the next month. Nice and quiet. View attachment 3549170

I took a picture of this street cleaner. Somebody mentioned clean streets? @TwoCrows ? They definitely contribute to it. View attachment 3549169

Random picture for a laugh? (I don't think it's working)
View attachment 3549167
Beautiful photos! Yes it was me, I'm such a clean freak...love the street cleaners! :lol: Funny last photo. :gig

Back
Top Bottom