Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
I had to look up affluent. What a useful word! 😄

This is a great observation. I keep wanting to make a disclaimer but keep thinking later is a better time.

Now is a good time with your comment.

China is big and diverse. What I have been to, and will go to, are all on the east side of China, which has the majority of population. It is also the affluent and more developed (western) part of China.

It is not necessary the touristy part of China though. All provinces of China have its touristy spot, especially the geographically west side. It is beautiful. I've yet to see most of it.

I recently talked to two Chinese who grew up in rural parts of Henan province. It is a poor province (also kinda on the east, but more inland). From Beijing Airport ( the closest international Airport, they are also living in the US now), they will have to take a slow train, three more busses to get back home. They also have worse healthcare there. Everything is harder for them in a way.

I already knew about regional differences, such as if you are born in Beijing, you get to go to the best university in China 10 times easier than a person born in Zhejiang. It still took me a long time to learn that I was born very privileged as well.

The take away is that I'm presenting here a very small portion of China. The regional difference is huge. You are also viewing it through my lens.
China is a huge country. I wonder how much of those differences are due to it's specific imperial history, and how much just to size ? I believe many of the bigger countries have huge regional social and cultural differences. From my point of view, I would think it also seems to be the case in the US ?

Yesterday I went to my grandparents place. My dad's parents. They both passed away relatively recently. My dad's little sister inherited the place.

It is in the old part of town, where the local government decided to preserve. I should have taken more pictures.
View attachment 3547406View attachment 3547412

Nearby is a big touristy spot.
View attachment 3547408

This morning I went to a hole in the wall, but super good noodle place.
View attachment 3547407

Yum
View attachment 3547401
It was 13 yuan, roughly 13/7=$1.85 .
Is there anything special written on that bowl? Just curious 😊

China is a huge country. I wonder how much of those differences are due to it's specific imperial history, and how much just to size ? I believe many of the bigger countries have huge regional social and cultural differences. From my point of view, I would think it also seems to be the case in the US ?
In my experience, the difference in the US is smaller. I think a big reason is that it is a lot more common to move from one state to another in the US.

Chinese government makes a big effort to stop regional migration. We have this hukou system that makes it hard to move. You may be working in Shanghai but your hukou (kinda like residence) is still back home which makes it hard for you to buy condo or get your kids enrolled in any school in Shanghai.

Some provinces/cities are making it easier for outsiders to get their Hukou, it seems, as a way to attract people.

Yes definitely here in Canada for sure.

Lightm - I am very much enjoying your photos and explanation of the places you’re visiting.

In my experience, the difference in the US is smaller. I think a big reason is that it is a lot more common to move from one state to another in the US.

Chinese government makes a big effort to stop regional migration. We have this hukou system that makes it hard to move. You may be working in Shanghai but your hukou (kinda like residence) is still back home which makes it hard for you to buy condo or get your kids enrolled in any school in Shanghai.

Some provinces/cities are making it easier for outsiders to get their Hukou, it seems, as a way to attract people.
As China starts to face the demographic challenges that Europe and the US face (aging, low growth population) my guess is that will change quite fast in order to fill jobs.

June 20th. We just started our rainy season.

This is a very nice public park in my opinion. I used to spend lots of time here with friends.
View attachment 3549178View attachment 3549177View attachment 3549176View attachment 3549175View attachment 3549174View attachment 3549172

I'm here for a coffee shop. It's in the middle of the park.
View attachment 3549173View attachment 3549171i think im going to be a frequent customer in the next month. Nice and quiet. View attachment 3549170

I took a picture of this street cleaner. Somebody mentioned clean streets? @TwoCrows ? They definitely contribute to it. View attachment 3549169

Random picture for a laugh? (I don't think it's working)
View attachment 3549167
Beautiful park. That last photo is cracking me up!

Random picture for a laugh? (I don't think it's working)
20230620_161004.jpg
Is that rainwater or a hose that is broken?? It looks pretty funny. I think someone should turn it off. Maybe it is broken

Back
Top Bottom