Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
I see the cameras at the school entrance are set up to ensure a good shot of small children's faces :hmm ; otherwise that school looks lovely! Amazing stonework of the wall behind the ginkos too.
Don't get me started on camera... there is absolutely no privacy in China. In addition to cameras everywhere, you are required to have a smart phone and do everything there so the police can have a record of everything you do anytime they want. (You are required to link your phone to your true identity )

For example, any touristy place you go, you can't just buy a ticket and enter like how it's supposed to be. No, you have to have a smart phone, have wechat installed, scan a qr code using wechat and buy your ticket that way. The ticket office will not simply sell you a ticket.

Another example is all restaurants ask you to use your phone to scan a qr code for menu, and order from there. If you ask for a physical menu, they will tell you that it's outdated. 😡

So at this point I have deep despise for smart phones. It started out innocent and convenient, making people use it voluntarily, but can be lethal once in the hands of authoritarian government.

Not to mention creating a robotic society that lacks human interaction and nature's touch.

Don't get me started on camera... there is absolutely no privacy in China. In addition to cameras everywhere, you are required to have a smart phone and do everything there so the police can have a record of everything you do anytime they want. (You are required to link your phone to your true identity )

For example, any touristy place you go, you can't just buy a ticket and enter like how it's supposed to be. No, you have to have a smart phone, have wechat installed, scan a qr code using wechat and buy your ticket that way. The ticket office will not simply sell you a ticket.

Another example is all restaurants ask you to use your phone to scan a qr code for menu, and order from there. If you ask for a physical menu, they will tell you that it's outdated. 😡

So at this point I have deep despise for smart phones. It started out innocent and convenient, making people use it voluntarily, but can be lethal once in the hands of authoritarian government.

Not to mention creating a robotic society that lacks human interaction and nature's touch.
I've always had a feeling things were going to go this way eventually, being tracked at our every move. Just awful. And forcing us to use a smart phone is just not right. :hmm

I've always had a feeling things were going to go this way eventually, being tracked at our every move. Just awful. And forcing us to use a smart phone is just not right. :hmm
I have started a detoxification from smart phone two years ago. In the US, I only use it for phone/text and navigation. No other apps, no emails.

Sorry about the phone rant. Here are some pictures to compensate for it.

There is this great artist from more than 500 years ago (Xu Wei) born and lived in Shaoxing. I've always really liked his work.

One of my favorite is this old folk riding a donkey.
20230718_100455.jpg

Some of his other work (he is pretty big profile so what I saw was replica and real work are mostly in nice museums in Beijing or Taiwan)
20230718_100207.jpg

He is kind of an impressionist in some way.

This art museum was built last year in honor of him
20230717_093450.jpg

You have to go through a nice narrow alley to reach it
20230717_093330.jpg

The museum itself is very modern. I think it's fitting and I like it.
20230718_101310.jpg

Then his old home was nearby.
20230718_102905.jpg
20230718_102946.jpg
20230718_103020.jpg
20230718_103102.jpg
20230718_103128.jpg
20230718_103158.jpg

Sorry about the phone rant. Here are some pictures to compensate for it.

There is this great artist from more than 500 years ago (Xu Wei) born and lived in Shaoxing. I've always really liked his work.

One of my favorite is this old folk riding a donkey.
View attachment 3584001

Some of his other work (he is pretty big profile so what I saw was replica and real work are mostly in nice museums in Beijing or Taiwan)
View attachment 3584008

He is kind of an impressionist in some way.

This art museum was built last year in honor of him
View attachment 3584003

You have to go through a nice narrow alley to reach itView attachment 3584004

The museum itself is very modern. I think it's fitting and I like it.View attachment 3584000

Then his old home was nearby.
View attachment 3583999View attachment 3583998View attachment 3583997View attachment 3583996View attachment 3583995View attachment 3583994
This last post decided me - when you go again (I realize that may be many years from now), you can count on me to carry your bags for you. I just want to trail around after you to all the interesting places. Love the museum, his house and his work.
In principle I feel the same as you about the phones and lack of privacy. In practice I have already kind of given up. I don't lead a very interesting life. I worry of course about rogue actors emptying my bank account, but if the government wants to spy on me they will get very bored.

This last post decided me - when you go again (I realize that may be many years from now), you can count on me to carry your bags for you. I just want to trail around after you to all the interesting places. Love the museum, his house and his work.
In principle I feel the same as you about the phones and lack of privacy. In practice I have already kind of given up. I don't lead a very interesting life. I worry of course about rogue actors emptying my bank account, but if the government wants to spy on me they will get very bored.
Ok. 😊

It does not matter whether your life is interesting or boring, we all need to resist. At least in the US, the government pretends not to spy, or rather, it does not admit to collude with big corporations to spy on you.

Back
Top Bottom