Follow me to a trip to China

Pics
Of course I know you are right, and I do sort of assume I am being spied on, I was just trying to be honest that in my day to day life I find the effort to resist a bit exhausting.
That said, this is my only social media account so I guess I am doing a tiny bit of resisting!
I would say that over 'here' like over 'there' 99.9% of the data is boring useless stuff. They would be searching for key words or phrases to eavesdrop on people. And then a very specific set of persons would be under surveillance like 'here'. It is just more blatant there with the technology.

Also one of the reasons why their Govt would want to use smart phones for monetary transactions is to reduce the amount of hard currency running around, it's very expensive to make coin and bill currency, and it needs to be maintained, removed from circulation at a set rate. It reduces the risk of counterfeiting which I am sure is rampant there.

And then there is the reduced cost of not having a person manning ticket sales, etc. The one thing the Chinese Govt is very good at is business. Used to be that Canada was the #1 trading partner with the USA, but several years ago, that all changed and now China is, and I bet that the USA is China's #1 trading partner. Mind you - the USA is still Canada's #1 trading partner.

It's all about money, and power.

Anyways it will be for sure boring for anyone 'here' or 'there' to be listening to us whine about the weather and whether or not our hens were broody, and what to do with the extra Roos (though on that one they would likely be laughing there heads off at me and just be thinking - make dinner!).

They will look at you shockingly and tell you to go get a phone with local plan?

Summer 2019 I was also in China with an American friend. We went to the Great Wall. Surprised to learn at the gate that we need to reserve a ticket on WeChat through phones first. This is the Great Wall, the post card of China! I was upset and embarrassed as this is no way to welcome anyone. There were lots of old folks, less tecky, standing at ticket office struggling with their phones to buy ticket. No officials were out there to help. They were all sitting inside and tell you to use your phone. 😡 it was chaotic as it was a new rule then.

In the end, we did get tickets at office, but after I showed his US passport and explained for quite a while that I do not have wechat (I could have reserved tickets for me and him on my phone).

I've been to the Great Wall (the most popular section, Badaling) four times and it is truly magnificent.

To answer your question seriously, I do think it might be okay if you show your passport.
Oh good :)
I am good with acting like the helpless tourist that I am!

The computer mall has been there forever and is doing well. The repair shop I went to is great and well connected to the factories that produces all the parts.

I actually specifically bought a phone for my Chinese trip, only because the phone I was using is not "smart" enough for China... I am afraid that I will keep using this new phone.

Yeah. I want a linux based phone. I was looking at Murena which is de-googled android I believe. Any thoughts on Murena?

Right there is no play store. Usually I search for the app I want and directly download the apk.
I have been following this whole trip to China and found it most interesting. I have a cousin that lives in Japan and I always love his pictures. I was amazed by simple things like not seeing any weeds all over like we have here in the US and how clean and beautiful your country looked. Thanks so much for sharing on here so that we could enjoy the trip with you. It was a lot of fun. I am sorry that your Chicken passed, I know that had to be hard on you and I pray that your other recover soon. Thank again for the beautiful trip.

Back
Top Bottom