Font size

FYI: Leveraging the support from our Premium Feather Membership program, we hired a developer to create an new feature for the PFM's to have the option of changing their font size.

If you are a PFM, you'll see this new option in your profile:
View attachment 3781236

... and able to select a smaller or larger font size:
View attachment 3781235

A huge THANK YOU to the PFM's for making this possible!
It's in the preferences section:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/account/preferences

FYI: Leveraging the support from our Premium Feather Membership program, we hired a developer to create an new feature for the PFM's to have the option of changing their font size.

If you are a PFM, you'll see this new option in your profile:
View attachment 3781236

... and able to select a smaller or larger font size:
View attachment 3781235

A huge THANK YOU to the PFM's for making this possible!
I understand that BYC needs some way of supporting it self but changing the font size is an accessibility feature so it feels wrong thats its behind a paywall :hmm

The iPad settings doesn't seem to affect all websites and I can't enlarge the font on only the website. Not to mention enlarging the font can mess up some apps I have used, I don't know if it would do the same on websites 🙁. I can't find any way of enlarging BYC without having to buy a pfm

I understand that BYC needs some way of supporting it self but changing the font size is an accessibility feature so it feels wrong thats its behind a paywall :hmm

The iPad settings doesn't seem to affect all websites and I can't enlarge the font on only the website. Not to mention enlarging the font can mess up some apps I have used, I don't know if it would do the same on websites 🙁. I can't find any way of enlarging BYC without having to buy a pfm
You should be able to zoom in on an iPad to make things larger.

You should be able to zoom in on an iPad to make things larger.
zooming in really doesn't have the same affect and is a pain, it tends to end up "glitching". I have tried the magnifier but it also doesn't work very will for reading/ navigating on a forum

Simply being able to change the font size helps me massively, some days I can not use BYC because of my eye sight. So being able to access one of my favourite websites not only comfortably but actually being able to access it sometimes would be really nice! (The tone is not supposed to be sarcastic 😅 or anything like that)

I understand that BYC needs some way of supporting it self but changing the font size is an accessibility feature so it feels wrong thats its behind a paywall

Could it be done the other way around? Letting the paid members change their font size is a great idea, but maybe make the bigger font be the default for the non-paid members. I don't see anyone saying they are unable to use BYC with the large font, just that they dislike it, so making the big font the default would make the site accessible to more people.

Last edited:

Have you tried looking for browser extensions that might allow you to change the font size for specific websites?

having to buy a pfm
Not necessarily. I have not purchased a PFM, but I won a few and was gifted a few as well.

A quote of what I said about PFMs in general to another member:
I think it's good. Even if they don't want to buy the PFM, it makes people want to participate in contests and gets members more involved overall. It's better than not giving anyone a choice, which they were going to do, I think.

And their response:
That's actually a good way of looking at it. It'll also make the website better if people interact with it, which is good for the website and the people in it.

Have you tried looking for browser extensions that might allow you to change the font size for specific websites?
I haven't yet, honestly that kind of stuff gets very confusing for me 😅. I also don't know if they will work on an iPad
Not necessarily. I have not purchased a PFM, but I won a few and was gifted a few as well.

A quote of what I said about PFMs in general to another member:

And their response:
That would be great for something that is more personal preference or nice to have. Changing the font size allows more people to access the forum comfortably and easily

which is not something I think you should either have to win or pay for.

I would actually rather not need the font to be a different size 😅 unfortunately there are many, many things that are made that are not accessible for people who are disabled, which is why things like this are so important (having a disability already makes normal day to day things hard, then to be able to do a lot of things I have to jump through hoops to just be able to do it)

If it causes no real issues for others and can have a large positive affect for some, then those some should be able to access it

There are a lot of other things I and other disabled people have to pay for that we wouldn't need unless we are disabled. And most of them are expensive!

I know it may seem like a small thing to most people on here but it does actually make a big difference for those who need it!

That would be great for something that is more personal preference or nice to have. Changing the font size allows more people to access the forum comfortably and easily

which is not something I think you should either have to win or pay for.

I would actually rather not need the font to be a different size 😅 unfortunately there are many, many things that are made that are not accessible for people who are disabled, which is why things like this are so important (having a disability already makes normal day to day things hard, then to be able to do a lot of things I have to jump through hoops to just be able to do it)

If it causes no real issues for others and can have a large positive affect for some, then those some should be able to access it

There are a lot of other things I and other disabled people have to pay for that we wouldn't need unless we are disabled. And most of them are expensive!

I know it may seem like a small thing to most people on here but it does actually make a big difference for those who need it!
I see what you mean.
some days I can not use BYC because of my eye sight.
I hadn't read that part of your post. That really stinks.

I hope my reply didn't appear rude because I definitely didn't mean for it to come across that way :)

Back
Top Bottom