Food and Water?

The Farmer's Mama

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Eastern Shore, VA
Am I suposed to keep the chicken's food and water inside their house or in the run? I put it in their house so they would get comfortable going in and out. I don't want to encourage rodents though... What is the best way?

granted i'm new at this so i might be wrong but we put food in the run not in the house. i don't see why you couldn't have it in the house if you wanted it that way.

I am very new at this too so take my advice with a grain of salt but I put their food and water in the run. When they free-range around the yard, they always have access to the run and their food and water because I leave the door to the run open.

I lock 'em up in the coop at night. I have a small waterer in the coop (in case some disaster strikes and I can't get out there in the morning to let them out in a timely manner, they won't die of thirst) but I don't have any food in the coop. When they were just getting used to going into the coop at night I used to lure them in with a piece of bread but now they go on in on their own when it gets dark and I just have to remember to shut the the door.

I think it's fine to keep it inside the house
wink.png
I know about the mice thing though
hide.gif
What ever works best for you, and your babys.

Most of the hanging feeders or troughs you see for chickens are meant for inside of larger buildings. They are open at the top and do not shield the feed from moisture. We feed our birds outside in the runs and offer only enough to keep them for a few hours (if they are staying in today) or several minutes (if they are scheduled for rotation to pasture that day). Food laying in the same place all day every day will soon be detected by rodents and your overhead will skyrocket. Our main problem is chipmunks as we have never had a rat on the place....ever. Mice will overflow your feeders if left out at night. Mice can carry diseases so we really don't want them in the feed. Sparrows and starlings are also an issue.

Be careful not to keep them too hungry between meals or they will soon figure out what is inside those eggs you covet. I am sure you will find most people like food in front of them all day but we just never have done that. Even in the pens they can scratch and find things of interest. We like happy, active, resourceful chickens....not those that stand next to the feeder even when the door is open to grass.

Back
Top Bottom