Food Chemical Codex grade DE

Tractor supply carries red lake diatomaceous earth, that is what I use for my chickens. Hope this helps.

Thats what I use (is that why it is red earth-- its "red lake"?) it says on the label it is used for mixing into feed to prevent clumping, so I would guess other Feed stores would carry it as well, if you dont happen to have a Tractor Supply in your area..

I went to my local feed store and go the following: Perma-Guard Fossel Shell Powder. It also says on the front that it is Food Chemical Codes Grade. it is a 50 # bag. I hope that with that information you can get your feed store to order it for you. Good Luck.

The stuff that is used in pools should not be used around livestock or humans. It has been treated (heated I think) and the particles are much sharper and quite hazardous! This is NOT food grade DE. Please don't use it.

Oh wow, super old thread! Hope the OP didn't use it! hahah

Last edited:
My local feed store didnt carry it in food grade 50# bag i got a state supply number off perma guard site and called them they told me about the feed store so when the feed store didnt have the bag i wanted i asked them if tge could get they told me they have been trying but couldnt so i called state wide supply number back and told them needless to say within a few days i had my 50#bag of food grade DE and feed store now keeps it in stock

Last edited:
Custom Milling carries Perma Guard, which is your food grade DE and what I use. You can order online or there are reps in many states on the East Coast to midwest. Yes, you do want Food Grade Chemical Codex Grade, that's what it's called.

http://www.custommilling.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=5&Itemid=27
Just read your posting. red lake diatomaceous earth food chemical codex grade is what I bought. Is this the right one I need for use in my chicken feed and coop and dusting bath? Thanks for your help!

Red lake diatomaceous earth food chemical codex grade is what I bought. Is this the right one I need for use in my chicken feed and coop and dusting bath? Brand new to all of this. Thanks for your help!

Red lake diatomaceous earth food chemical codex grade is what I bought. Is this the right one I need for use in my chicken feed and coop and dusting bath? Brand new to all of this. Thanks for your help!
If you haven't opened it you might as well go ahead and return it. It's pretty worthless.

Thanks. I have opened it. So, I can’t use it for my chicken’s dust baths, coops, or food? What exactly should I be looking for? Thanks again 😊
It does absolutely nothing for a chicken to eat it so no I would not feed it to my birds ever.
It can be very dangerous if they inhale it so putting it in a dust bath is not a good idea either.

I'd just throw it away.

Back
Top Bottom