Food Consumption Concern

Galaxie

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
We have 4 ducks that stay in our back yard pond and we feed them once a day; trying to ween them from solely eating duck food and getting some wild fish in their diet. They are doing good with eating fish (we have witnessed them eat some fish); but my question is, when we do feed them, is it normal for them to eat a ridiculous amount? They've always been sort of heavy eaters and I'm just curious because of the whole "eat like a bird" saying.

I don't think domesticated ducks can survive eating just fish. It's always best to provide a proper ration and let them supplement their diet with things like fish and bugs.

I don't think domesticated ducks can survive eating just fish. It's always best to provide a proper ration and let them supplement their diet with things like fish and bugs.[/QUOTE
We aren't trying to cut them from the food supply completely, just simply reduce it. We feed them plenty of meal worms, snacks, flowers, etc. I was just wondering HOW MUCH duck food is too much?

Mine get all they wish to eat. Some bags of feed have a recommended amount listed on them. I think as long as they aren't getting fat on the ration than I would let them eat all they want. Ducks do tend to look frantic when eating, especially after the bowl been filled after it had been empty.

Mine get all they wish to eat. Some bags of feed have a recommended amount listed on them. I think as long as they aren't getting fat on the ration than I would let them eat all they want. Ducks do tend to look frantic when eating, especially after the bowl been filled after it had been empty.
Then I guess they eat normally! They seem to be A LOT hungrier in the morning than at night. Maybe because during the day they are able to hunt and eat bugs and fish and at night they can't.

Back
Top Bottom