Food Grade DE Powder

bigredfeather

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Yorkshire, Ohio
I am going to switch my bedding my coop to pine wood shavings. I have seen some articles saying to spread food grade DE powder in the coop. What is this stuff is, and is it necessary? Where is it available? Does it create any toxins in eggs or chickens?

I love this stuff! It's the silica shell of single cell organisms. It has the consistency of flour. It's hydroscopic. To my understanding it sucks moisure out of mites, lice, fleas and other nasties like salt on a slug. I bought some from a human health food store online. 50# was a little less than $25. It's also supposed to get rid of internal parasites. I also use it in their sandbox where they bathe. They love it and wallow every time I add a couple of fresh scoops. I also use it on the dogs. I'd rather use this than sevin on the birds and Frontline on the dogs.

DE is Diatomaceous Earth. It's wonderful, as described above, the important fact is to get food grade DE, it has to be food grade as the other is toxic to animals.

Bigredfeather I don't know were you living but this web site sells it custommilling.com they might deliver it to a store near you I called them today. They told me they deliver to a feed store right by my house! So I am going there Monday to pick some up. I never used it before so I hope it works!
big_smile.png

I agree with the other posts. Your local feed store may carry it. There are some threads on the forum about where other members have bought it. My husband ordered a 50 lb bag online, but I don't know what site. I sprinkle it in the nests, in the litter, in their run and also where they dust bath. We had a daughter's dog as she couldn't keep it where she was staying. Well, recently the dog died at 15 yrs old, and shortly aferwards we had a flea infestation except around the chickens. I believe the DE protected them. I was told that when the fleas ingest the DE, it's an irritant and also works as an absorbant and dehydrates the feas and it kills them.
yippiechickie.gif

I did some additional research, and you're right. This stuff sounds great! I've been pricing it everywhere. I called custom milling and they don't deliver anywhere in Ohio. To get it shipped doubles the price. I guess I'm just going to have to pay twice as much/lb. It sounds like there are a lot of people out there who use it and have great health benifets. I'm a little wery about consumption.

I use the stuff on everything!!

In my coop it goes everywhere! on the roosts, in the nestboxes, in the run, on the litter, in the food. I don't measure, I just fling it everywhere.

I use it for fleas on my cats and dog.

I use it at the base of my veggies and flowers to kill slugs.

I do suggest if you have asthma or breathing issues you use a mask.

can't see to fine this stuff anywhere around Berkley Ma. in a 50 lb bag . I found it on line but I'm looking at around $65 -$75 dollars for 50 lbs with shipping ,thats a bit high seeing the 50lb bag is going only for the cheaps on the internet $25- $27.00 a 50 lbs and other are around $45-60 with out shipping cost

is there any one in eastern ma know where to get this food grade DE locally

feed and grain store locally wants $30. for a 10lb bag that a bit high too

Quote:
Parasites do not ingest DE! When they come in contact with it the razor-like edges of the diatoms cut the bodies of the various parasites thus killing them. I sell PermaGuard Codex Food Grade DE in 3, 5 and 8 pound boxes. PM me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom